Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Where can I find information into what"bulletproofing" mean. So that I can know if it was done.

I'm looking to buy a 2010 ambulance with the 6.0 in it.
I've read that if it has been bulletproof and we'll maintain, it is a good engine.
The fire department can send me all the maintenance records.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,553 Posts
It means different things depending on who you ask. Generally, look for stuff like head studs, replaced oil cooler and stand pipes, even hpop and egr cooler too.

I would ask them how often and how long it idled for...

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
More people say "bullet proofed" with head studs and egr delete. There's a lot more to it though.
I doubt an ambulance company deleted the egr, so an egr from BPD would be a component of bullet proofing. An air to oil or remote mount oil cooler with a coolant filter would also be part of that.
There's 100s, if not 1000s of individual things that can be done to a 6.0 to make it more reliable. Around Ten are common.
If it's truly a "full bullet proof" then the service records will be a 6" thick binder of paper that reads like sh.t

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies.

Being that is part of a fire department flee and that they will provide all service records. I assume it was well cared for.

It has 130k miles.
It also has like 6k hours on the engine. I multiplied hours x 25 then added The miles. It totaled 300k +/- miles.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thank you for the replies.

Being that is part of a fire department flee and that they will provide all service records. I assume it was well cared for.

It has 130k miles.
It also has like 6k hours on the engine. I multiplied hours x 25 then added The miles. It totaled 300k +/- miles.

It's actually 309k/6k = 21moh avg, which really isn't bad for an ambulance. On A regular truck, that would be considered excessive eng hrs.
I had a gas van that I bought super cheap, got all the service records for it.... Very complete service records.... The paper waist was in the pounds .... Anyway, I bought the van with 250k, complete service records, no major repairs or replacement on the drive train. Oil analysis were done regularly and oil changed based on results (again, a gas motor). It was used for daily and occasionally towing an overly heavy rv.
I sold that van with 398.5k on it. It was still running, I think on 6, maybe 5 cylinders, but it still ran, drove, shifted and etc.

If (which an ambulance company should have) the complete service records are available and don't show any repairs that can/could be due to "abuse", I'd think your OK, depending on the price.
You can always count on $2g in after purchase repairs, but that's a drop in the bucket for a 6.0 .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's actually 309k/6k = 21moh avg, which really isn't bad for an ambulance. On A regular truck, that would be considered excessive eng hrs.
I had a gas van that I bought super cheap, got all the service records for it.... Very complete service records.... The paper waist was in the pounds .... Anyway, I bought the van with 250k, complete service records, no major repairs or replacement on the drive train. Oil analysis were done regularly and oil changed based on results (again, a gas motor). It was used for daily and occasionally towing an overly heavy rv.
I sold that van with 398.5k on it. It was still running, I think on 6, maybe 5 cylinders, but it still ran, drove, shifted and etc.

If (which an ambulance company should have) the complete service records are available and don't show any repairs that can/could be due to "abuse", I'd think your OK, depending on the price.
You can always count on $2g in after purchase repairs, but that's a drop in the bucket for a 6.0 .

Got a question.
What's best.
Older 7.3 diesel Turbo or newer 6.0 diesel well maintained.
Just for driving around. No heavy towing or anything crazy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Got a question.
What's best.
Older 7.3 diesel Turbo or newer 6.0 diesel well maintained.
Just for driving around. No heavy towing or anything crazy.

I will say it this way.... The 6.0 runs/drives more like a gasser. The 7.3 is more like a "big rig" motor, slower, truck like.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I've driven both and stock I would prefer the 6.0 so long as it was maintained properly and will continue to be. If there's any doubt on the 6.0 then I would want the 7.3. They can just keep going no matter what. While I prefer the peppiness of the 6.0, it also costs a bit to make em "bulletproof". You can make the 7.3 feel like the 6.0, but again you're going to be spending a bit of money for power upgrades. It's kind of a wash in that area. lol I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of feel do you want from the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts