Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Ive been searching for a minute now. I googled, and it looks like its around 15,500. This is ok, but it seems all the 38'+ fifth wheels RV's are more than that.

I know guys that tow whatever, and dont even bother checking the weight of it all.

What do you guys tow, how heavy, how often, and do you recommend? Thanks all...

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
Mine is 16K empty, add in 800# of fresh water, a couple of bikes, all the miscellaneous probably close to 20k. I haven't had any problems, but I do have a F-350 Dually. My buddy has the same trailer and pulls his with a F-350 SRW

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a friend who pulls a 40ft weekend warrior FT edition, and he has SRW F350, tows no problems. Im hoping I can get a 16k lb unloaded trailer, and be ok.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good brakes plus trailer brakes?

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
From my experience, and I do tow very heavy alot...around 30k lbs, that if you have the trailer axles/brakes for it, that the trailer will still do the majority of the stopping for you. I have been able to load where I keep right at 7k lbs. rear axle weight, adn let the trailer axles carry the weight. I have no second thoughts about towing like that..let the trailer carry the weight and do most of the stopping. Don't take off from a stop like you're racing john force, and start slowing down in advance, and you should be golden.

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
Good brakes plus trailer brakes?
Any trailer in the size you are talking will have trailer brakes. Make sure you have a good brake controller.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry if I misrepresented myself. Im no stranger for towing trailers and RV's, by any means. I was just wondering how much you guys are towing with your 3/4 ton 6.0's. I want to buy a fifth wheel, but the ones Im looking at are around 14-15k unloaded. A couple that I like are around 13k and 12k unloaded. Anyways, If I load my truck up to 17-18k, when my capacity is around 16k, will I be ok? I feel I will, Im pretty confident that the powerstroke will pull it, and with the factory brake controller, I believe I can stop it.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Sorry if I misrepresented myself. Im no stranger for towing trailers and RV's, by any means. I was just wondering how much you guys are towing with your 3/4 ton 6.0's. I want to buy a fifth wheel, but the ones Im looking at are around 14-15k unloaded. A couple that I like are around 13k and 12k unloaded. Anyways, If I load my truck up to 17-18k, when my capacity is around 16k, will I be ok? I feel I will, Im pretty confident that the powerstroke will pull it, and with the factory brake controller, I believe I can stop it.
You should be fine. I would certainly recomend putting some Firestone air bags on it. Made a huge diff in handling. Make sure you get the correct hitch for the trailer wgt. Good luck with your search. The toyhauler in my avatar goes about 13K loaded. I tow in the mtns here in Az all the time on 6-7% grades. No problems.

On edit: with that short bed get a slider so while going down the road you can slide it ahead of rr axle center line & the airbags are a must have.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had plans of getting airbags for sure, as well as a slider hitch. Thank you tbolt, your comment was reassuring. I think I will be ok too. I let my best friend borrow the PSD to tow his Duramax 100 miles north. Unfortunetly I had to work, but he said it handled just fine. Obviously it would, he also said it didnt squat hardly any, which made me happy!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The bags I put on before the dually conversion and it helped the sway and leaning when it was a single wheel I was so much more comfortable. Then ran across an Arrowcraft conv kit used and made a dually out of it. My trailer is only a 2 axle so it leans a little more than a 3 axle. That's the reason for the conv. You will do just fine. Get out and buy one and enjoy. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
So whats the max legal towing weight of an F250? I was reading that ad link and thats what Id like to get in a 5th wheel trailer but Im wondering what the legal limit is for an F250? Not what it can tow as Ive pulled stuff a bunch heavier already than that, just wondering what the legal limit was.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
My opinion is that's too much trailer for a 250. Somethong that big & heavy needs a dually. That's why I converted my 350 to a drw. It can pull ity but if you get in the wind or nasty weather you'll have your hands full. CC LB Dually is much safer. I have been there.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was mainly just posting the models. Im not going to get a 40 ft toy hauler, Im going to stick around 35 fifth wheel or so. I just like the manuacture and models for their features.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
OK, if you stay around 5-7K on the trailer put some airbags on and you should be fine. You'll never regret those bags. I have the Firestone complete kit. Mounted the comp in my toolbox and have controls under the dash. They come in really handy when hooking up or dropping. Takes a lot of wear & tear off the landing gear on the trlr.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Whats your trucks GVWR. You need to find out what your payload capacity is then take the pin weight of the 5th wheel your looking at plus the people's weight and gear you put in the truck to make sure you dont go over the GVWR. It sounds like you would be over. So if your GVWR is 9600lbs and your truck weighs 7600 you have 2000lbs to play with if your new toyhauler has a pin weight of 1800lbs you better weigh less than 200lbs.

Most people go over weight limits and thats a bad thing. I see a lot of this on the diesel performance forums. Its kind of like mine is bigger than yours thing.

If you ever were involved in a accident that a severe injury or death and your truck was past the weight ratings you will be at fault and held liable. Stay close to your weight ratings as possible its safer for everyone on the road.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Whats your trucks GVWR. You need to find out what your payload capacity is then take the pin weight of the 5th wheel your looking at plus the people's weight and gear you put in the truck to make sure you dont go over the GVWR. It sounds like you would be over. So if your GVWR is 9600lbs and your truck weighs 7600 you have 2000lbs to play with if your new toyhauler has a pin weight of 1800lbs you better weigh less than 200lbs.

Most people go over weight limits and thats a bad thing. I see a lot of this on the diesel performance forums. Its kind of like mine is bigger than yours thing.

If you ever were involved in a accident that a severe injury or death and your truck was past the weight ratings you will be at fault and held liable. Stay close to your weight ratings as possible its safer for everyone on the road.
Well Said and you saved me a bunch of typing! :D

IMHO it's not whether your truck "Will" tow the load but rather can it do the job safely and within the legal limits. People that are overloaded may just see this :pullover: and the fines are HUGE!! Not to mention if you are towing over your safe capacity then you are putting yourself and everyone around you in potential danger. It's just not worth it to me I guess...

Oh yeah and like Glen said the dually is the best for stability!!

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Ok I guess Im clueless on this stuff. So it doesnt matter how big the trailer is or how much it weighs at its axles the only thing that matters is tongue and or pin weight?

Im still trailer shopping and I want something I can legally tow.

·
diesel and nothing else
1,620 Posts
crowz, i am in the same position as you and i found two makes and models that will fit.
First choice for me is the Titanium from Glendale, because of the weight and the construction.
Second choice is the Montana from Keystone, because of construction and all year round use insulation, kind of an issue in the north LOL .
Both have a real solid reputaion and being more or less on the light weight side, for all the stuff they offer.
I like to get a Titanium because of the space over the cab you gain and it gives you a better weight distrubition.

Frank

1 - 20 of 27 Posts