Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished rebuilding my 5r110w for a few problems.

1. when shifting into reverse it wouldn’t shift until I let my foot off the brake and then it would slam into gear

2. when shifting into drive it wouldn’t shift unless I took my foot off the brake

3. 3-5 shift flare

Got it into my truck and when I shifted into reverse it slammed into gear (no delay). Started driving and 1-2 shifted well. 2-3 shifted well. By the 3-5 shift the shift was slow around 2 seconds and during the shift there was a very smooth resistance feeling almost felt like I was driving through water for a second (no flare). 5-6 shifted well.

I switched solenoid E and solenoid D from a junk yard transmission to see if there would be a change. The reverse problem got worse (still no delay). 2-3 shift took a little longer (shifted at around 2500 rpm’s under light throttle). 3-5 shift took a bit longer to shift but still the same problem. All of these problems are consistent.

I Just got a pressure guage and pressure keeps surging from around 60-130 in all gears in reverse the pressure goes a little crazy. Any chance this is a solenoid problem?

link to the video of the line pressure

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
Direct clutch reverse application is mechanical. 3-5 shift uses the solenoid. You likely have a mechanical issue with direct clutch. Did you replace all the split ring seals and drum bushings, and clutch piston?

what was the nature of the original failure?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Direct clutch reverse application is mechanical. 3-5 shift uses the solenoid. You likely have a mechanical issue with direct clutch. Did you replace all the split ring seals and drum bushings, and clutch piston?

what was the nature of the original failure?

Not sure but probably because I have a 2006 6.0 and the original owner put a transmission manufactured in 2002 into the truck. And adding a turbo and injectors probably didn’t help. I got the junkyard transmission (2009) to replace all the outdated parts and I inspected them before putting them into mine. I used the competition plus package from Warren diesel direct drum is new from them it’s supposed to fix 3-5 flare, and it did, the shift is just a bit long and feels off.
I replaced all the ring seals and the over drive piston. Reverse planet is from the junkyard transmission perfect condition. The reverse planet I took out of my transmission looked like it was in good shape too.

(Can you see the video in my original post? I wasn’t sure if it worked)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure but probably because I have a 2006 6.0 and the original owner put a transmission manufactured in 2002 into the truck. And adding a turbo and injectors probably didn’t help. I got the junkyard transmission (2009) to replace all the outdated parts and I inspected them before putting them into mine. I used the competition plus package from Warren diesel direct drum is new from them it’s supposed to fix 3-5 flare, and it did, the shift is just a bit long and feels off.
I replaced all the ring seals and the over drive piston. Reverse planet is from the junkyard transmission perfect condition. The reverse planet I took out of my transmission looked like it was in good shape too.

(Can you see the video in my original post? I wasn’t sure if it worked)

I did realize that the shift lever seems a bit tight and it’s a bit hard for me to shift into reverse. Not crazy hard just harder than usual. I’m thinking maybe this means I didn’t install the shift cable to the outside of the transmission the right way and now the Manual valve isn’t in the right place? I don’t see how it can cause all these problems especially after it got worse when I switched out the solenoids. Any insight?

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
Your line pressure is low and very slow to rise. Did you replace the regulator valves in the pump and replace the EPC solenoid?

it won’t go into reverse with 60 lbs. which is why you have a delay then a slam.

I would stop driving it until you correct the line pressure problem before you burn up those new clutches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your line pressure is low and very slow to rise. Did you replace the regulator valves in the pump and replace the EPC solenoid?

it won’t go into reverse with 60 lbs. which is why you have a delay then a slam.

I would stop driving it until you correct the line pressure problem before you burn up those new clutches.
I didn’t open the pump and I didn’t replace the epc solenoid. I’d rather not drop my transmission again if I don’t need to. You think the epc can be the only problem?

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
I didn’t open the pump and I didn’t replace the epc solenoid. I’d rather not drop my transmission again if I don’t need to. You think the epc can be the only problem?
No. It’s possible the main line regulator valve is not moving properly in its bore. Trans go has replacement valves. It’s also possible the bore in the pump body for the regulator valve is worn.

a worn gear set/separator plate could also be the issue.

Are you confident the feed bolts in the bottom of the center support are tight?

you can toss an EPC solenoid at it but I’d be surprised if it fixes your issue. Post back your findings please

be aware pump halves must be perfectly aligned on reassembly

you also mentioned the manual valve moving hard. Did it move freely in its bore before installing the manual lever? The valve is not bent, correct?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No. It’s possible the main line regulator valve is not moving properly in its bore. Trans go has replacement valves. It’s also possible the bore in the pump body for the regulator valve is worn.

a worn gear set/separator plate could also be the issue.

Are you confident the feed bolts in the bottom of the center support are tight?

you can toss an EPC solenoid at it but I’d be surprised if it fixes your issue. Post back your findings please

be aware pump halves must be perfectly aligned on reassembly

you also mentioned the manual valve moving hard. Did it move freely in its bore before installing the manual lever? The valve is not bent, correct?

yes the center support bolts were torqued to spec. The Manuel valve went back and forth smooth it’s more of an aggressive click on the shifter by the dash
I’ll post If the regulator valve is the problem.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
yes the center support bolts were torqued to spec. The Manuel valve went back and forth smooth it’s more of an aggressive click on the shifter by the dash
I’ll post If the regulator valve is the problem.

Thanks
I would still replace the EPC on reassembly. Make sure you inspect the pump gears when. You have it apart. Do you have the ATSG manual?

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
I made my own alignment dowels and I use a couple of large, wide hose clamps to put them together to make a large band. If you don’t get it right you’ll damage the pump when you try to run it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts