Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
6.ohdamn
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the title says it all, the truck is a 2004.5 6.0 powerstroke with a 2005 transmission. The transmission is having an odd problem that no one has an answer to. I live in Indiana and not a single diesel shop or ford dealer around has a clue to why it does this. No matter what, everytime i change tunes, it being stock, performance canned on sct, or my custom tunes the trucks transmission slams the 3 to 5 shift, ive tried the relearn procedure multiple times, the only way it goes away is to drive it easy, after you let it slam that shift a few times, it starts to clear up, but isnt truly gone for like 30 to 40 miles. I personal change tunes often and this is getting annoying haha, i just bought this truck and i never had this problem on my other 6.0 i had before it. The nearest diesel shop told me the pervious owner replaced the transmission and it did the same thing with the old tranny as well. Im at a lose, and if someone could maybe shed some light, i would very much appreciate it! Thanks in advance!!

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
Mine did that a few times when cold but cold like first drive ambient 70

so no clue why but it would seem to hang rpm's increase then engage the next gear
with a violent slam I changed tuners and that helped a ton but every now and then i would leave the house and i could feel it reving between gears so if i was quick i could let off the throttle and be fine if not it would slam and ( pucker)

i did mess with the SCT and finally had it so it would barley ever occur

now ask me what I am doing this weekend ? yup replacing the tranny LOL

·
6.ohdamn
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh damn, hope i dont have to do that anytime soon! Thats what im wanting to avoid haha. With mine, after you drive it the 30 or 40 miles, it wont ever slip or slam again even when cold, unless i change the tune..then its back. Its crazy!

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,084 Posts
The learning process adapts the pressure to get the shift to happen smoothly. When you change the engine's output torque with a tune, whether it is more or less pressure, everything that was learned is now wrong. It was learned for a different torque curve. It needs to relearn. When I read the title of this thread I thought, "Of course that's going to happen!"

You might have better results if you clear the memory when you change tunes. It learns faster when the memory is cleared.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
interesting although he stated He has tried the "learning " process multiple times

OP did you kill the KAM by disconnecting the batteries ?

then do the by the book procedure ?

·
6.ohdamn
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, i have tried reseting the KAM once when changing tunes, didnt help, i try the book procedure everytime i change tunes. The thing i dont understand is that my other 6.0 never did this, not even once. There has to be something wrong haha.

·
6.ohdamn
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Come on, there has to be someone with an answer. I understand that the transmission has to learn everytime you change tunes, but the 3-5 shuft when i change tunes literally throws you into the windshield when barely on the go pedal, thats not normal.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,084 Posts
The 3-5 shift is not an easy shift to make. The intermediate clutch has to release and the direct clutch has to apply. Both clutches have to finish what they are doing withing about 0.030 seconds of each other or the shift is going to get very, very ugly.

If the intermediate releases before the direct applies the trans is essentially in neutral during the shift. The engine speed will just run away. If the direct applies before the intermediate releases you have a tie up. That's even worse! That locks the output shaft to the case with causes the wheels to stop turning RIGHT NOW. It may only occur for a small fraction of a second, and that's why you get thrown into the windshield. Do the tie up enough times and hard parts WILL break.

I have told you the answer. I understand it isn't the one you want. I could make one up if it would make you feel better. Just tell me what you want me to tell you. Without being told what to say all I can do is tell you what's really happening.

Reactions: Zmann

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
the "answer" you gave him ?

You might have better results if you clear the memory when you change tunes. It learns faster when the memory is cleared.
I thought He tried that ?

your description of the shift sequence is crazy ! I prefer not to think about how busy the internals are LOL

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would follow what Mark has advised TO THE LETTER, even if you think you already have tried this. I know it may sound repetitive, but, I can't even count the number of times I thought I had followed a procedure with no results AND THEN meticulously followed the sequence of steps and IT WORKED!!!

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,084 Posts
the "answer" you gave him ?
The answer I gave him is that this is how this transmission and software work. It's going to do this every time he changes tunes. He can minimize the problem by clearing the KAM, but the only way to make it go away is to design a better transmission and better software.

Reactions: Zmann

·
6.ohdamn
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does this mean something in the direct clutch is messed up then? Because my old 04 6.0 never did this. My fathers 6.0 doesnt do this, and my friends 6.0 doesnt do it. I would have to say it isnt normal then.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,084 Posts
You might have something wrong with the direct clutch. There were changes between 2004 and 2005. Not having this problem in 2004 and having it with a 2005 doesn't seem unusual to me.

If you don't think it's normal. maybe it is time to take the trans out, tear it down, and see if there is a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts