Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

5R110 Problems

18K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  03F2506.0 
#1 ·
OK guys here's my delimma. About 3 weeks ago I put a set of RCD 175 CC injectors in my truck. After I got the injectors put in I drove it for about 2 days and then got my tunes from RCD. I uploaded them. My problem is that right after I did the iunjectors when i would drive it it would shift at a higher rpm and when it shifted it jerked hard into the next gear. After my tunes it still did it. Then after about a week I noticed it slipping in O/D. Then my reverse went out, the O/D, then 4th, and finally 3rd. All I Have now is 1st and 2nd. When It shifts into 2nd it doesn't grab till about 2500 rpms and then pulls. Is there anything I can do or is the tranny smoked?

#2 ·
bump...:confused:

#3 ·
I'm gonna go with option 2........ Smoked!!!! Hate to hear your having problems. Good luck with it.

#4 ·
Thanks. Tryin to decide between a Suncoast or 6 Speed...

#5 ·
I've heard BTS builds awesome tranny's.

#7 ·
I drove the truck today and it wouldn't shift past 2nd. I tried switching from my race tune to my tow tune and it didn't help.

#9 ·
It wont shift into 3rd. When I first drove it today it grabbed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and pulled like hell. But it has been about 3 days since its been driven. Then I changed my tune to see what happened and it wouldnt shift past 2nd. I did get more from reverse though and didn't get my normal O/D light flashing....

#11 ·
OK I will drop the pan first chance I get this week. I will update after..

#12 ·
OK I got the pan dropped and didn't find any metal in it, just some clutch material. The fluid was a little dirty but smelled good. Sould I service it with both new filters and replace the direct drive solenoid or what? My buddy at FORD said they could test the solenoids but the truck has to be driveable and I would have to service it then take it to them and maybe have to go back in. Any Ideas?

#14 ·
I serviced the trans today and replaced the direct clutch solenoid due to the codes it was throwing. Drove the truck for a little but and I now have a good strong reverse and it shifts into 3rd and 4th but doesnt seem to shift into 5th. Sometimes when I take off it tries to take off in 2nd or 3rd then downshifts to first and pulls hard. Anything else I'm missing?

#16 ·
#17 ·
I thought the Torqshift was a 5 spd Auto?

I will drive it in the morning and post up.

#18 ·
It uses 5 of the 6. 4th gear is intermediate and overdrive together. 2nd gear is 1st and overdrive.

So you know OD works if you have 2nd. Which is 6th. Direct is 5th. You know that works because you have reverse. You know 1 works since it has forward. Count the gears. The first shift is 1-2. The second shift is 2-3. The third shift is 3-5 and then 5-6.

4th comes into play when its really cold outside. Instead of going to 3-5 it goes 3-4 cause the direct clutch shifts like crap when the fluid is cold.

#19 ·
Drove my truck today and it shifted 1-2 then 2-3 then 3-5 then 5-6. Reverse is good but it still hesitates to shift sometimes when you apply a good bit of throttle. WHen it tries to shift it revs real high and when you let out of the throttle it witll shift and pull the next gear. Torque Converter?

#20 ·
You can test converter stall by applying the brakes and revving the engine. It should rev to around 2k rpm and try to drive through the brakes. If the converter clutch itself was slipping you would be getting clutch failure codes. Try again...

#21 ·
I can power brake it and it tries to pull off around 1800 to 2000.

#23 ·
Ford. It cost me about 100 bucks.

#25 ·
How did you know which on it was on the tranny itself? I am replacing one and can't find any info on it.

#26 ·
doug has a updated direct solenoid. it is better than the tock piece but might not fix the issue. im having about the same issue just waiting on funds to try and fix it

#29 ·
erikclaw - My buddy at Ford printed out a diagram of the solenoids in the trans. It shows all of them and what they are.

Lubbockguy1979 - I've seen the upgraded ones and just figured I would try one and see if it fixes it. I think I'm still gonna have to build it.

#31 ·
My Update.... Dropped the pan the fluid was fairly dark. There was a small amout of fine metal in the pan. I had ordered the direct solenoid and I installed it after cleaning up the pan. I also changed the external filter while I was at it. Changing the solenoid was a breeze took like 3 minutes. The truck is back together and so far reverse dosent shudder and the truck shifts thru all the gears. It does seem like it is slipping around 5th. I know at this point I'm on borrowed time but at least I have bought some time before I have to get it rebuilt. I would like to say thanks to doug@ gogo. I have talked to him a few times and he has a awnsered any question I gave him and got the solenoid to my door next day. I couldn't ask for anything more and I would reccomend him highly. He knows his stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.