Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am debating what happened and what to do at 117,000 miles in

I was driving the other day and went to shut her off bu glanced at my CTS display and it was in alert mode cycled the key and couldn't pull up the reason for the alert

day two driving along no load i see the alert screen and low and behold Trans Temp is 250 * so i pull it over and wait fully hoping that it doesn't start to cool off and this will just be a temp sender issue but no luck i see the temp drop

drive 1/4 mile and temps climb pull over check dipstick it's dry
add 5 qts and drive it home as temps rise but I make it under 220*

drain some fluid and it looks like it has a metallic content not red clear but
dark blood like with super fine grains in suspension I figure is friction material

so I am pissed at myself for not monitoring the dash because the trans temp was pegged and pissed my CTS monitor was set at 250* for the alert that i didn't hear but did eventually see that should have been set way lower i just missed it somehow

i can't figure if it got hot and puked fluid or if it went low on fluid and got hot also it actually drove fine so I wonder if the TC is the issue and caused the heat or if it is friction material from the clutches ?

dropping pan and external filter later

this truck had exceptional PM with a heated flush at 30,000 and multiple pan drops and fluid swaps including a pan that held 7 extra qts ( downside is filter is at same height as OEM) but also had a 08 filter element in the pan

any input to this long arse cry for answers would be appreciated

my base plan is ordering a trans torque converter new cooler because of the fluid contamination and flush the rad cooler and lines

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh no codes on the Automotive Enginuity looking at the transmission module drop down menu from the PCM/ECM and no tow haul flash
i did read the OEM parameter for the dash or was it tow haul flash warning is set at 300* ( way too high IMO

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
external fluid was solid gray and shavings in the bottom of the cup

so it did it's job and stopped as much as it could then when clogged it bypassed back to the transmission and bypassed the cooler causing the trans to heat up with no cooling

sure wish i would have caught the temps spiking I never noticed the OEM guage and the CTS only alerts i didn't have trans temp set as a pid ( showing on the guage )

that won't happen again lol

have not dropped the pan yet nor internal 08 filter element but pretty sure a new trans is in order and I need to remove my deep pan anyway before i drop the trans

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,086 Posts
When the external filter plugs it does not bypass the cooler. It bypasses the filter. Even when the filter is working only 10% of the cooler flow goes through the filter.

If you're only going to replace the converter you have an excellent chance of contaminating and ruining the new converter. If the failure is inside the trans it will ruin the new converter. There is no way to know where the failure is without a teardown.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Mark

I though I had read your post about any restriction in the cooler circuit sent the fluid back to the trans including a plugged filter my mistake now i wonder why it got so hot ??

after i pulled the external filter and found the metal shaving
my Torque converter only pipe dream was gone
so now i am searching for a transmission and torque converter and will order a new external cooler

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,086 Posts
I though I had read your post about any restriction in the cooler circuit sent the fluid back to the trans including a plugged filter
A 4R100 will do that.

now i wonder why it got so hot ??
Something failed inside the trans and/or torque converter.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks
it actually shifted fine but couldn't stay cool and i heard a faint metal to metal screech for a second

i would normally have this diagnosed but with the amount of junk in the pan and remote filter plus the mileage I am going all rebuilt/new

and say goodby to at least 5-6 k

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Bummer. That sucks.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya I was planning on doing UCF heads and ARP AGE studs now I have to do this first

I always thought i would just drop it off at Ford and spend 3500.00 if this day ever came

but I am pretty sure it would have 0 warranty with my 37"s so another 2k and i get a better tranny by far and a warranty I probably won't need according to their track record (NAPD)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts