Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 6.0l.
I recently did a full flush, dealership said the I should run LV instead of SP fluid, so i went with the LV fluid, upgraded the pan and internal filter to the 08 style and changed the external filter. Everything seems fine other than the temp. I went from running 165°-175°f to 195°-210°f just driving around town.
Any advice?

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
LV is spec

SP is spec

your increase in temps may be if you removed the TP filter or did not get it in properly
it will bypass the coolers if it is missing or clogged

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that same thing. So i pulled the TP filter out today and it seemed to be seated as it should. I removed it and am gonig to take it for a drive tomorrow and see the out come.
Thanks
LV is spec

SP is spec

your increase in temps may be if you removed the TP filter or did not get it in properly
it will bypass the coolers if it is missing or clogged

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did use oem. Pan, internal filter and external filter are oem.
I just ran it without external (toilet paper) filter and the same tempts. 195-205 towing nothing.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
@mark_kovalsky or @matthewd11 on this one. Is there a chance your pump is schitting the bed? I hate auto trans' and I'm just throwing a dart on that idea but the two guys I mentioned are boss on the 5R

I have an 08 and an 09, the 09 has an 8" lift with 37's and with both trucks I tow HARD, like 30k+ all the time and temps never go above 180*..... on both trux I eliminated the external filter and have aftermarket pans/internal filters.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
The LV fluid shouldn’t make the temp increase by itself . The LV fluid takes the place of the old SP. The Valvoline maxlife LV rated fluid is my top choice.

Have you verified the level is correct at full temperature? I would verify you have proper flow through both coolers. I use LV fluid in the units I build and don’t have temperature issues.

Are there any shifting concerns that you have with the LV or is temperature the only thing you’ve noticed? How is the converter lock up? Is the fluid aerated at all on the stick?

A pressure gauge may give you some answers. Do some line pressure tests and post them (idle all gears, cold and hot, and stall speed in R,D,3,2,1)

For S&Gs you can reset the adaptives or the KAM

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
you put the filter in like the picture ?

and as far as removing the filter for the test I have actually done flow test if you pull the filter the fluid will not ever travel thru either cooler

Attachments

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
no spacer or spring would cause a bypass

Something has to attribute for his temps . we know it is not the LV

and the only other thing he touched was filters AFAIK

now we all know the fluid level is a little difficult to read on these but i don't think over or under filled would cause this issue and not have other issues

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes the only thing i have touched was filters, oil and upgraded pan.
I recently drained the pan and dropped it to see if the internal filter was cocked or something obvious. Nothing. I honestly am going to put the original pan back on and an oem 06 filter and see what she does. This is a bit silly and should be simple. I have come across parts that are defective. Maybe a bad fitler. And i plan checking the line pressure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WTH! Well I installed the original pan and new filter. And.... It is running no hotter than 169°. I haven't pulled my trailer yet but I was raping it in efforts to see the out come.

No clue guys. I'm still lost. I'm not buyin another filter to cross examine. Lol.
I haven't checked pressure yet.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
crazy
I also run the 08 filter (with a deep pan) and never had a temp increase and never heard of this scenario

the 08 filter has a trap door bypass so it should not starve for fluid ( not sure that would even cause a heat issue before it cause other issues )

I will say this is the kind of issue i run into with aftermarket stuff but OEM not so much

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Did you have the filter properly installed in the pump? You didn’t leave them old seal in the pump from the original also filter correct?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts