Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PSN,
Mark and other trans gurus, can you install a 05,6,7 and/or a 08,9,10 (yes understanding you can swap over the 6.4 converter/flexplate or retain the 6.0 combo as well) into an 03-04 f-series or excursion with 03-04 pcm/tcm strategy? Is the 03-04 pcm/tcm strategy compatible with the 05+ solenoids and associated hardware? It’s my understanding (perhaps in error) there’s some solenoid differences on 03-04 transmissions.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
The early line pressure solenoids were different, and there was a small ratio change for overdrive in the later units but the pcm would probably not pick it up. You would need a 6 lug converter if you use a 08+ unit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The early line pressure solenoids were different, and there was a small ratio change for overdrive in the later units but the pcm would probably not pick it up. You would need a 6 lug converter if you use a 08+ unit.
Yeah exactly; or an 8-lug flexplate with an 8-lug converter. Either combo will work.
What I’m getting at is will the early model pcm’s be able to control an 05-10 trans seamlessly in oem form? The reasoning for my question is I’m looking at doing a ground-up Excursion build with all the best parts from all the years. 05,6,7 F series front frame/suspension swap and HPO system. 6.4 trans, etc. I don’t even have an Excursion haha. But, I don’t want to rule out a clean 03/04 base truck just because I need an 05 pcm. Yes a clean 05 with an 05 engine would be the holy grail as a starting point, but since I’d find a donor f-series for the front end and late-model engine components, I’d have all I need there, so that wouldn’t rule out an 03/04 Ex roller. Yes, long-winded for a trans electronics question.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,055 Posts
All of the ratios are different, but not by a lot. I think the PCM would not flag that as an error, but I am not positive because I have never tried it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mark. I have a follow-up question if you don't mind. I have an 05 trans with a broken case (long story), and I have come across a good 04 empty case and wish to swap in the internals. Are there any differences to just the cases themselves over the years?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts