Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has been happening over the past couple weeks:

Regardless of temp, after backing up (out of driveway, parking spot, etc), I put it in Drive, and it just feels like its bound up. It doesnt have a delay as I can sit there for infinite amount of time (ive only tried it for about a minute), and nothing happens. I have to give it throttle and then it kind of slams forward. my other option is cycle it back to reverse, then back to drive and then it works fine. Only happens first time on startup.

Reverse has no delay at all, and it shifts fine otherwise. SCT says its in 1st when it does this binding thing. 20k since a fluid flush when I did my swap, and maybe 5k since I put an upgraded direct drive solenoid in to cure soft 3-5 shifts, but I eventually just had the shifts firmed up via a tune. so anyways fluid is basically new, looks fine. Truck has 178k on it, I assume the trans is original.

Line pressure solenoid?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
an upgraded direct drive solenoid in to cure soft 3-5 shifts,
I believe that's your problem. Others have reported the same issue with the "upgraded" solenoid.

Reactions: Zmann

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Youd think it would have been doing that as soon as I put it in? I guess it comes down to which solenoid to waste money on first.....

·
Registered
328 Posts
You can measure the line pressure...as first option... but i would sink my money into a stock dd solenoid since you are firming up the shifts with the SCT.
Would like to know the results with whichever path you take. A few of us have a modified DD sitting on the shelf since no one can figure out why they don't work.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
i would agree if it was bad you would expect it right off the bat but i have 0 trst in the modified units so ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thats bad LOL
but Ford will take that as a core just FYI
I heard what sounded like a rock hitting the underside a few weeks back, now I know what it was lol. I havent pulled it yet but I suspect a weight flew off the converter? It doesnt leak. Maybe a pump bolt backed out. Kind odd really.

I might buy one of these used trannys off ebay that claim to be super low miles from ex govt vehicles for aroubd $700. Most are from econolines I assume it would work.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
I looked at those when mine went out

I decided to pay more and just get the Ford reman

curious to know what happened to yours

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what do you guys suggest for a replacement. Keep in mind its behind a Cummins so a big more torque off the line, but as of now I am probably only at 300hp/700ftlbs or so, but that can always change :)

1. used off ebay $700-100 + shipping (havent seen many of the "low mile municipal vehicle pullout ones lately). gamble on condition of it. No core needed. Probably throw a billet converter in front of it. So ~$2200 total investment.

2. Motorcraft reman ~$2700. Downside is its stock, and the strock converter stall speed isnt ideal for a Cummins. As Zmann says, they will take the core with a hole in it. I doubt warranty will apply as its behind a Cummins.

3. Built trans route, $4000-6000. Obviously will stand up to about anything. Warranty. Downside I havent inquired about acceptance of my core. Shipping can be pricey to my area depending on company.

4. Buy a case, rebuild kit, converter and rebuild myself? Id probably still be $3k into it, and no warranty. Figure $4k for a local place to do it (havent researched reputable shops.)

Dont really have the money for any of the options so its on credit card regardless save for $1000 or so......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I am leaning towards buying a case from ebay, 350 or so, and going with the revmax rebuild combo kit with converter.

5R110 600HP+ Combo Transmission Rebuild Kit

I have the atsg manual and think I can handle it. Shipping for a built one would put it well over 5k, and a ford reman for 3k isnt entirely enticing.

My main concern is solenoids. I have a new oem direct solenoid I got a few weeks back, but should I just ohm test the rest, or buy a set of remans for ebay? Such as:

5R110W Solenoid Kit 03UP 7pc Ford F250 Ford Trucks | eBay

I highly doubt a built trans includes all brand new oem solenoids

I think I can be about 3500 into it or so.

Thoughts? Yanking this thing out tomm to see exactly what happened to it.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
My main concern is solenoids. I have a new oem direct solenoid I got a few weeks back, but should I just ohm test the rest, or buy a set of remans for ebay?
An ohm test isn't going to tell you anything useful. The main failure mode for a solenoid failure, especially after a trans failure, is that the armature sticks in the bore. It will ohm just fine, but it won't work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An ohm test isn't going to tell you anything useful. The main failure mode for a solenoid failure, especially after a trans failure, is that the armature sticks in the bore. It will ohm just fine, but it won't work.
Yea I figured as much. Are reman solenoids worth it? Obviously new oem is best. Like I said, I doubt any tranny builder installs all new oem solenoids.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the trans out, the one weight on the converter is a little chewed up, not as bad as expected. Is there usually 2 weights on these? No sign of a missing one...

Inside of case isnt all gouged up either, but the weight clearly made contact with something. Also, it was running rough before, I started her up after the trans came out and now its running rough, so it had to be out of balance.

Still debating on the diy rebuild route..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So it turns out I had an adapter plate bolt come loose, the flexplate caught the head, sheared it off, threw it into the torque converter and out the bellhousing it went.

Rebuilt the trans with a Revmax HD kit which is a mix of Alto powerpacks and Raybestos GPZ clutches, billet input and intermediate shafts, billet low stall converter. Shifts awesome, the lower stall is perfect for th Cummins.

So basically a $4000 loos bolt......

·
Strokin all day
1,084 Posts
So it turns out I had an adapter plate bolt come loose, the flexplate caught the head, sheared it off, threw it into the torque converter and out the bellhousing it went.

Rebuilt the trans with a Revmax HD kit which is a mix of Alto powerpacks and Raybestos GPZ clutches, billet input and intermediate shafts, billet low stall converter. Shifts awesome, the lower stall is perfect for th Cummins.

So basically a $4000 loos bolt......
Damn. Hope you plan on throwing down some power. A built 5r110 is way too much overkill for only 700 ft lbs haha. Still guess you shouldn't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn. Hope you plan on throwing down some power. A built 5r110 is way too much overkill for only 700 ft lbs haha. Still guess you shouldn't have to worry about it.
Well rebuild kits are cheap, input shaft is cheap, needed a low stall converter for the cummins, so really the only splurge was the billet intermediate shaft.

Plus a transmission is something id much rather have overbuilt than underbuilt, although I know these are stout stock.

Now I know I can throw another turbo under the stocker and make 5-600hp and not have to worry about it :grin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts