Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
EDP,
I installed your guys modified solenoid today. Mainly as a maintenance thing. I've never had any slipping, but for as long as I can remember I've never liked the feel of the shift from 3-5. Truck was due for new tranny filters and 8 quarts of mercon SP, so I ordered your solenoid since I was going to be in there.
Easy install. Set the solenoid in the 7'oclock position, got everything buttoned up and backed it out of the garage. Dropped her into to drive and the truck wouldn't move. It actually lunges backward like you put it in reverse. I gave it a little skinny pedal,to attempt to get out of the middle of the street at this point, and it banged into gear. Got it back in the garage and was hoping to find that the fluid was very low but it was perfect. Backed it out of the garage again and this time it worked perfectly. Drove it and It shifted perfectly. The 3-5 shift is how I think it should feel. I was happy as a lark.
Come back by the house (don't shut the truck off) and grab my son. Take him to a birthday party. Jump in the truck after dropping him off and the exact same thing happens again. It will only do this after you shut the truck down and restart it. It does it the first time you go into drive and then is fine after that. I'm a bit lost as to what to do at this point. Could you please reach out to me? Bobby (209) 204-4269

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update. I pulled the pan and removed the dd solenoid again. It was perfectly clean. I removed the plastic end cap and backed out the set screw and cycled the solenoid manually. Everything is great. I backed out the set screw a full turn. Put it all back together with the solenoid clocked in the 5'oclock position. Fill it up with fluid. Same problem. Put it in drive and it wants to go into reverse. Rev it up and then bam it jumps into forward gear. Works and shifts perfectly at that point until you shut it off, and then you have the issue all over again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update #2. I was able to get the truck to go into a forward gear with the modified DD solenoid. Don't know if this helps anyone out with troubleshooting. (Starting to think nobody is reading this anyway). If when I first start the truck, I turn on the high idle for a bit and then shut it off and go into drive it goes right in, no issues. It drives and shifts great. Not an option to leave it that way but again that might help with diagnostics for someone who knows the 5r110.

I ended up removing the solenoid and going back with the stock DD solenoid. Transmission goes into drive perfectly now. The 3-5 shift isn't bad, I just don't feel like it is good for the longevity of the transmission to be doing that. Sent the solenoid back to empire performance diesel. They are going to test it and get back to me. I'll update then in case anyone is reading this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey motobob I have the exact same issue as you describe with my empire solenoid. I followed the provided instructions and when it first happened I also thought it was from low fluid, but checked and fluid was good. I took it back apart made sure I put the solenoid in the right spot and clocked it correctly which everything looked good. Put all back together and still does the same thing. Put it in Drive after starting the truck and it will not go forward without using the skinny a little bit then it drops into gear and drives fine. As long as I do not shut the truck off, it never does that again. Also like you said sometimes it will even roll backwards a little bit then be stuck like I have a trans brake activated. Have to hit the skinny then it takes off forward. Which I am not sure what that solenoid has to do with 1st gear and first putting it into Drive.

I have the high idle mod and have used it, I guess I never paid attention or made the correlation of the two of it being normal after the high idle. I just know sometimes it will go into Drive just fine but 90% of the time after starting it acts up.

I contacted XDP who I bought the solenoid from and they said while they are an authorized dealer they do not have the tech to support issues and to contact empire. I emailed empire and they asked about if the truck is tuned with trans tuning, which it is, but does not matter what tune I have, including stock tune, the problem is still there. Only goes away with stock solenoid back in it. I tried searching all the forums at the time but could not really find any other people talking about this problem until now and honestly I've just lived with it since its been 6 months. I just kept it in there for my 3-5 shifts and having custom tunes.

Please update this when you hear from them or maybe empire will read these recent posts. I know its been a few months on this thread.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just sent mine back yesterday. Doug at empire is going to test it. He said they have had a handful of these solenoids do this but they so far have not been able to figure out why.

I love the way the solenoid shifts but I am unsure if I could be damaging anything by continuing to use it. It jumps into drive at about 1300 rpms and launches. Almost hit my trash can lol.

I'll keep this updated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dwelch and motobob
I've had the exact same issue. I only tried it once. Same thing went to drive only to feel like it was fighting reverse. A little throttle and BAM it goes into drive. I took it down the road a few times. Come back and park and start it up literally instantly and same issues all over. I immediately put my stock solenoid back in and now it runs fine. I ended up changed to a different shift schedule . The original schedule was too sloppy for me in 3rd. I'm trying to return the solenoid to diesel performance products. But I'm having no luck with emails. I've got the empire solenoid as well. at this points I just want a refund and I'm moving on down the road. I was totally disappointed..

Trust me bob I've been reading. Lol I've had no luck logging in either. I'm actually glad to see I wasn't the only one with an issue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Motobob who have you talked to with empire? Who should I contact that would know what's going on with these solenoid?

·
Administrator
32,990 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Motobob who have you talked to with empire? Who should I contact that would know what's going on with these solenoid?
When I first installed my solenoid I emailed to [email protected] with a description with what was going on. I got a reply from "[email protected]" (with no name of any one person) just asking if my truck has any tuning other than stock, transmission included. I sent a new email last week back to the sales email but have not heard back yet.

Bummer this is happening and for a while I thought I had the only solenoid acting this way. Hope they come up with a solution.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I first installed my solenoid I emailed to [email protected] with a description with what was going on. I got a reply from "[email protected]" (with no name of any one person) just asking if my truck has any tuning other than stock, transmission included. I sent a new email last week back to the sales email but have not heard back yet.

Bummer this is happening and for a while I thought I had the only solenoid acting this way. Hope they come up with a solution.
Have you had a chance to see if you can eliminate the issue by using the high idle before you put it into drive?

I got an email from FedEx today saying that empire has received the solenoid. I'll put it on here with what they tell me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you had a chance to see if you can eliminate the issue by using the high idle before you put it into drive?

I have tried the high idle idea a few times just to test and see. I noticed it would go into drive just fine after the high idle was on for a bit. Only one time after turning off the high idle the solenoid did act up, but to be fair in comparison I did not leave the high idle on very long at all, maybe 10 seconds. So i wonder if there is a certain amount of time with the high idle on that makes it work. Ill keep trying it out to see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Spoke with empire performance last night. They sent me a picture and said there was some material stuck in the solenoid. There is indeed what appears to be something like friction plate material in the stem area of the solenoid. I had pulled this apart and cleaned it once. I reinstalled it and still had issues. I think empire is insuating that the problem is on my end. Maybe it is I don't know but it is beautiful inside of my transmission, that I do know. The transmission has 70k miles. They are sending me another solenoid so I'll give it one more shot. I'll let y'all know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmm that is interesting there was material in the stem. Plus they said they know of a handful solenoids doing this and three of us had posted on here . Mine did it right away after I installed it. Literally installed, added fluid and put it in drive and it acted up right away. so wonder then if high idle is increasing the fluid being pumped which moves the material out of the way and acts normal until you shut the truck off and then the material plugs back up when fluid isn't flowing? Idk just trying to think why it only acts up after shutting the truck off and starting back up, but is fine once you are driving no matter if going into different gears or Park. Crazy too because you said you cleaned yours motobob.

Well hopefully the new solenoid they are sending works for ya and you're not having to pay for the second one. I guess I'll keep trying to contact them and see what they say. Maybe take it out and see if there is any material in mine too. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What is this high idle you speak of? I'm somewhat new to the Powerstroke/diesel community. Also I did the same as Welch as far as install. As soon as it hung up twice after shutting off I took it out . I returned stock solenoid. I haven't had a chance to email empire. I plan on doing it this up coming week though.

·
Kenner, LA
322 Posts
Closely watching as my solenoid is still sitting on the shelf. At 14 thousand miles on the truck now. 2003 F 350 6.0

·
Registered
6 Posts
They are sending me another solenoid so I'll give it one more shot. I'll let y'all know.[/QUOTE said:
Hey Motobob have you got your new solenoid yet, if so have you installed and tried it? looks like couple more people are having the same issues. Curious if your new solenoid fixed the issue or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Motobob have you got your new solenoid yet, if so have you installed and tried it? looks like couple more people are having the same issues. Curious if your new solenoid fixed the issue or not.
I have the new solenoid,but I haven't committed to doing it yet. I'm preparing myself that I might possibly have to do it twice again. I will definitely report back here.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts