Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Where did you purchase our solenoid from?

Can you post a picture of the solenoid you removed?

Does the truck seem to shift better like its intensions?

Hope this don't come off as drilling you just here to help n make sure you got what you purchased n taken care off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So you bought the truck used and it already had the solenoid from EPE installed? It's been around for awhile now.
Bought the truck back in fall of 08.
Wonder if previous owner had problems with it and that solenoid was put in as a fix. HUH!!

·
Registered
44 Posts

Hope this don't come off as drilling you just here to help n make sure you got what you purchased n taken care off.
I'll get a picture posted up a bit later, got it from you guys??? Or one of your dealers??
Receipt/Sticker/Box has your guys name on it. When I went to your website it showed a building, had a big sign- Mikes Automotive I believe it was, smaller sign off to side EDP.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Finally got around to downloading pic's from my phone.
Can't really tell any differences in shifting, tranny is shifting fine.
In the last 2 weeks, had some odd shifts while trying a couple tunes, right up to a couple missed shifts and an over rev that scared me a bit. tranny relearning apparently. Have been running tranny through a quick relearn shift pattern when changing tunes lately, plus running it easy for a bit longer.
Found out Friday I may have the wrong size wheel in my turbo, am waiting to get on the phone Monday and probably jump into a Stage 1.5 instead of messing with the stock turbo anymore.

Let me know what you think of this Direct Solenoid I pulled to replace with an EDP solenoid.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
These are pictures of the one you removed? Can you get a close up of the holes on the solenoid?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, that is the one I removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok, I feel better about that!
Thought I saw in your first post, the stock one only had a couple ports in it and the tip had a small groove above the plastic cap.
Anyway,is not like I'm going to go through the hassle of pulling that new one out anyway, it's in there and that's where it's staying.;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
From what I can tell in the last picture you posted you are good to go and a stock solenoid was removed. Some of the modifications we do internally on the solenoid that can not be noticed by physical appearance which is why our product stands ahead of some of the competitions.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Looks like I'll be buying a new solenoid as these don't look like real Go-Go ones as there's only two holes on the end.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1412127422.278424.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1412127480.536885.jpg
:(

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
From a guy on the forum a while back that said they were new GoGo modified solenoids and yes the part number on the end is ground off.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I purchased a solenoid from Empire this week.. and installed it this weekend.. couldn't have been easier... but i do have an issue.. with the new solenoid installed.. i have an delayed engagement into gear when i put it in drive or Reverse. truck doesn't move until i step on the skinny pedal and then it jumps into gear.. my first thought was fluid was low.. so triple checked, and that was good. once in gear it performs fine, and the shifts seem firmer. Road around and rechecked fluid.. and all was good. Parked truck, 2 hours later, i started it and put it in gear and it had the delayed engagement again. Not wanting to risk damaging the trans, i drained fluid and removed the solenoid and replaced it with the stock unit. Once filled with fluid,... i tested and my issue with delayed engagement was gone. No issue. This was Saturday.. used new fluid and changed filter while i was in there with the original install of the new solenoid. Parked it over night.. tested it again this morning and no issue at all. So today (Sunday), i decided to Try the new solenoid again (lucky enough to have the free time today to fiddle).. and the exact same thing happened.. Delayed Engagement into Drive and reverse..i had to raise the RPMs to get the tranny to engage. Is it possible the Solenoid is defective? I have the stock one back in and tranny is performing perfect. Not sure what next step is... I am original owner of truck, no problems with it.. just figured i would swap to the upgraded part. I have regular services done on tranny, and am original owner, with 180K + on trans now. Never got a code or check engine light .. but didnt hook my AE up to run any diags.

Sorry for the long winded post... but not sure why i have the delayed engagement when the new unit is installed. .. any ideas or guidance?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts? Can the DD solenoid cause a delayed Reverse\Drive Engagment? Running the original solenoid now for a couple days and trans is shifting fine. Not sure if i should exchange or return the Moded one. :/

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Direct drive solenoid does not operate on a drive or reverse engagement. The direct clutch is applied through the manual valve in reverse, but does nothing on a drive engagement.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
I have one of these at home that I bought a while back that never shifted right. 3-5 was so harsh that I was scared of breaking something, so I removed it in favor of a new stock solenoid. I need to take a look at it and see if maybe I got one of the knockoffs. I know when I contacted the company I bought it from (can't remember off top of my head), they had no desire to help me solve that harsh shifting issue. Was doing good to get any feedback from them. On vacation now...I'll check it when I'm back home.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
From a guy on the forum a while back that said they were new GoGo modified solenoids and yes the part number on the end is ground off.
We do not bother grinding the numbers off. Many will take that number and go and purchase a solenoid using that number but all they are purchasing is a DD solenoid un modified. All of our solenoids are modified in house and then tested before being sent out.

I purchased a solenoid from Empire this week.. and installed it this weekend.. couldn't have been easier... but i do have an issue.. with the new solenoid installed.. i have an delayed engagement into gear when i put it in drive or Reverse. truck doesn't move until i step on the skinny pedal and then it jumps into gear.. my first thought was fluid was low.. so triple checked, and that was good. once in gear it performs fine, and the shifts seem firmer. Road around and rechecked fluid.. and all was good. Parked truck, 2 hours later, i started it and put it in gear and it had the delayed engagement again. Not wanting to risk damaging the trans, i drained fluid and removed the solenoid and replaced it with the stock unit. Once filled with fluid,... i tested and my issue with delayed engagement was gone. No issue. This was Saturday.. used new fluid and changed filter while i was in there with the original install of the new solenoid. Parked it over night.. tested it again this morning and no issue at all. So today (Sunday), i decided to Try the new solenoid again (lucky enough to have the free time today to fiddle).. and the exact same thing happened.. Delayed Engagement into Drive and reverse..i had to raise the RPMs to get the tranny to engage. Is it possible the Solenoid is defective? I have the stock one back in and tranny is performing perfect. Not sure what next step is... I am original owner of truck, no problems with it.. just figured i would swap to the upgraded part. I have regular services done on tranny, and am original owner, with 180K + on trans now. Never got a code or check engine light .. but didnt hook my AE up to run any diags.

Sorry for the long winded post... but not sure why i have the delayed engagement when the new unit is installed. .. any ideas or guidance?
Anyone have any thoughts? Can the DD solenoid cause a delayed Reverse\Drive Engagment? Running the original solenoid now for a couple days and trans is shifting fine. Not sure if i should exchange or return the Moded one. :/
Give us a call and we can further discuss the concern and if it is a faulty solenoid get you taken care of right away.

Thx
563-588-2708
Ask for Doug or Chad

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have one of these at home that I bought a while back that never shifted right. 3-5 was so harsh that I was scared of breaking something, so I removed it in favor of a new stock solenoid. I need to take a look at it and see if maybe I got one of the knockoffs. I know when I contacted the company I bought it from (can't remember off top of my head), they had no desire to help me solve that harsh shifting issue. Was doing good to get any feedback from them. On vacation now...I'll check it when I'm back home.
Be sure to let us know.

·
Registered
328 Posts
We do not bother grinding the numbers off. Many will take that number and go and purchase a solenoid using that number but all they are purchasing is a DD solenoid un modified. All of our solenoids are modified in house and then tested before being sent out.

Give us a call and we can further discuss the concern and if it is a faulty solenoid get you taken care of right away.

Thx
563-588-2708
Ask for Doug or Chad
Thank you .. will reach out this week.. work has been crazy so havent had much time to follow up on this. Thank you for responding!!

21 - 40 of 103 Posts