Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been getting many questions and concerns involved in the topic, so we decided to give some info that many have been mis lead upon.

Empire Performance Engineering in conjunction with GoGo Diesel/Direct Injection have worked diligently together to deliver a solid solution. To surpass all the current knock offs and issues of previous concerns that have arose.
The 5R110 TorqShift transmission is one of the most robust transmissions ever offered in a medium duty pickup. It does however have a weakness. The 5R110 transmission is controlled through the use of solenoids to turn on and off gears. A gear is commanded by the computer and a solenoid applies fluid directly to that clutch. In stock power applications the stock solenoid is fine. Outside of that range, the factory piece cannot provide enough fluid to the clutch fast enough to get the clutches together in a short enough time. Long term slipping of the clutch leads to failure. Direct clutch is not only used for 5th gear in the transmission, but it is also used when in reverse as well. All solenoids are modified from brand new parts and are then tested in house on a Solx 2000 Solenoid tester.

Many have got there hands on the original GoGo Solenoid and believe that they been able to by pass the source, bench-marked, relabeled and repackaged it turned it around marked it up and re sold it. Many have even gone to the extreme as still labeling it as a GoGo/Empire Part when it has not been modified to the standards we have set. Recently we where overwhelmed with the mass orders and ran out of inventory for a couple weeks and was approached by a customer to have us install his Solenoid that he purchased off line and was under the assumption that he was purchasing a solenoid of the exact same. Needless to say the customer is not very pleased with the information that we where forced to inform him about.

You will notice in the pictures we have provided of the differences along with the facts that many people out there using this tactic to drive sales there way with no knowledge of the actual functionality of the part or solution. Many will take the Ford # on the base of the solenoid and simply think they have the in source and re label for a discounted price when really all they are purchasing is a knocked off part. This has been going on since the first part of March of 2013.

This is not a bash thread or looking to come down on any one shop in particular just pointing that more is done then meets the eye of a part number, and beware on who and what you are buying in the diesel world for Diesel Performance . com shops open up on an hourly basis.

-Main things to notice by the naked eye to be sure you are getting what you pay for is the coating on solenoid.

-Bottom Fluid passages have been modified.

http://empiredieselperformance.com/e...lutch-solenoid

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Great info!! Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
the one on the right is the updated solenoid? i purchased the gogo diesel solenoid from performance truck products. right now im having hollyrock customs install the solenoid, but they are having issues installing it and getting it to run properly. the mechanic said the 2-3 shift doesnt feel right, and then it will not downshift. ant input on this? this is holding my truck up to get it back after they installed 190 cc injectors. im hoping i didnt get a bogus solenoid.

·
Good ol boy
1,223 Posts
I installed mine and ran perfect right out the gate, tranny shifting was alooooot better with the upgraded solenoid.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
envious. i just want my truck back.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine ran fine after i changed both the DD and the 3-5 Reverse. I can see how they could've exchanged the wrong one though, or didn't get it seated correctly.

Denny

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
the one on the right is the updated solenoid? i purchased the gogo diesel solenoid from performance truck products. right now im having hollyrock customs install the solenoid, but they are having issues installing it and getting it to run properly. the mechanic said the 2-3 shift doesnt feel right, and then it will not downshift. ant input on this? this is holding my truck up to get it back after they installed 190 cc injectors. im hoping i didnt get a bogus solenoid.
The gogo/empire direct drive solenoid controls the 3-5 shift not the 2-3.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Mine ran fine after i changed both the DD and the 3-5 Reverse. I can see how they could've exchanged the wrong one though, or didn't get it seated correctly.

Denny
How did you change both the DD and the 3-5/reverse solenoids? The DD solenoid controls the 3-5 shift and reverse. The DD solenoid is the 3-5 shift....not two separate solenoids. The DD solenoid which controls the 3-5 shift is the middle solenoid in the row of three on the solenoid body.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
On install the connector on the solenoid will either be in the 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock position.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
I have a couple modified solenoids and now wonder if they have been adjusted correctly and bench tested prior to them being sold as "GoGo" solenoids? What would you charge for checking these out?

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I have a couple modified solenoids and now wonder if they have been adjusted correctly and bench tested prior to them being sold as "GoGo" solenoids? What would you charge for checking these out?
Honestly after you paid to ship it here and then paid to ship it back as well pay to have it checked out, you could just about buy a new solenoid so it really wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buyers be aware. We have had a few solenoids come back through again as being claimed to be in-correct as we had suspected they where not modified nor where they our solenoids.
A shame that this type of business conduct happens. If anybody else has this in question feel free to contact us and we would be glad to test them for you at no charge.

Thanks
Chad
[email protected]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ordered mine today, good deal from EDP.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Installed EDP DD Solenoid this evening. the stock one I pulled out of my tranny, looked alike, same set of three ports..
3C3P7G383
CA
4D091024645 was stamped/etched on the side of the housing.

What's with this?? Toiled under my tranny for at least 3 hours, had a couple bolts that galled on the way out of the pan, had to dig in the sled bolt box to find a replacement ( at dark, stores closed) to button it up. No leak issues, THANKFULLY!!. BUT, the solenoid I took out had the same number of ports as it's replacement. I've owned this 04.5 since Oct. of '08, the original elderly owner put 23000+ miles on it in 4 yrs. hauling his 5th to Arizona and back every year for 4 years.
:mad::confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
HELL!! Went back and looked at the pic's again, the solenoid I removed tonight and spent several hours and $90 worth of tranny fluid on, replacing, looks exactly like the newest, trickest mods out there!!
I've never had any issues with my tranny, thought I'd do this for the reliability category, looks like I wasted a lot of time and $$$$$$.
How long has this been out there???????????????????????????:confused::mad:

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
So you bought the truck used and it already had the solenoid from EPE installed? It's been around for awhile now.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts