Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i just had the trans rebuilt by a fairly highly rated trans shop, and ive had nothing but problems out of it! When i first got it back it was falling out of gear at idle, and would only engage when revved. Then it started over heating and the tuner would show it commanding gears at the wrong time, i took it back to him and he pulled the valve body so check some things and he put a 2nd set of new solenoids in it. I got the truck and added a 2nd stock cooler and 2 fans in his parking lot along with new sensors. Still overheating, and now it was starting in 3rd until 5mph then go to 1st and shift like a dream. I got it out on the highway that day and it cooled down and worked like a dream for a day. Then it started trying to be in 1st and reverse at the same time. New harness in and out, fluids and filters, no luck. Finally i was on a test drive for the harness.and it locked up on me coming up to a light. Pulled it, low/rev, forward and od clutches all welded. When i pulled the pan the safety switch was melted bad, but the temps never got above 250. What could have caused all of this? The park neutral safety switch? He messed up in there somewhere? What the heck? I put 4grand in this truck, 2500 for the trans plus all the other things between install and diag of the issue. If anyone has an idea please step in.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Could be caused by anything from seal installation errors, too tight clutch clearances, pump problems, TC issue or solenoid problems. I would bet on one or more installation errors. By the sound of the damage you’re going to have to start from scratch.

What year Truck? What codes were stored?

Where are you located? Who’s building it this time? If you are looking for someone, I build them as a side business. Send me a PM if you are interested or with questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be caused by anything from seal installation errors, too tight clutch clearances, pump problems, TC issue or solenoid problems. I would bet on one or more installation errors. By the sound of the damage you’re going to have to start from scratch.

What year Truck? What codes were stored?

Where are you located? Who’s building it this time? If you are looking for someone, I build them as a side business. Send me a PM if you are interested or with questions.
Truck is an 05, post 04.5. It was throwing codes for a,c,d solenoid performance, before and after he switched the solenoids twice. When it really started to burn up, it didnt throw any codes, or even go into limp, just crapt out. It was mike at complete in hagerstown md. He did alot of small things i didnt agree with, apart they werent a big deal. But together made him look pretty bad. Ive built some, just wanted a warranty. So hes doing the job again with another core, im ordering a kit today for one of my other cores, just so i have a spare. We use him for our customers transmissions, so if theres a problem it doesn't come out of our pocket. But ill be building all our transmissions from now on. This guy charged me to upgrade, add clutches, shift kit, etc. And he didnt do any of the upgrades, and if he wouldn't have screwed up, i never would have known. When he did the solenoids, he had to reuse the fluid, but he mixed it with some gunk and junk motor oil, and dumped it straight into the trans, chunks and all. I mean just lazy stupid things!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I would just ask for your money back and do it yourself. And FWIW there’s no real “shift kit” for these transmissions. Just basically a main line pressure valve change to limit pressure to around 320 psi. Not really necessary JMO. But I would absolutely install a heavy duty L/R snap ring. Those are a must. The rayspestos GPZ kits are nice. That is my go to. Also, how much power do you plan on putting through this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts