Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 f250 7.3 4x4 crew cab , found this truck offered a couple grand n now its home. Trying to figure out why she's only pushing around 5lbs of boost. Maybe 7 max. Seems low on power. I read a bit about ebp tube n sensor. Ordered em both new. Should be here in the next day or so. Replaced the boots n clamps. They were just not quite right. The truck doesn't really smoke except a small puff at start up. It runs pretty solid no misses , but I haven't really driven it hard cause I wanted to check out this boost issue. Engine seems to be stock no chip or major mods thatre noticeable. opened up the intake tube to look at the turbo. Doesn't look bad at all. Soooo, I wanna get her runnin right. Can any people point me in the right direction? Any n all help will be greatly appreciated :rockon:

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Check for soot around up pipes. If they are leaking by collector that will be a issue.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Build yourself a boost leak detector and fix the leaks...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No black soot at the up pipes or around any collectors so I'm thinkin the leak detector is gonna be my project for the day.

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
How are you checking boost? If its a gauge in the cab and you didn't install it, make sure that there isn't any kinks in the tube and that its in a good location to read boost. If you're not driving it hard or putting it under a load, you're not going to see a lot of boost. Sitting in park and revin it with a stock computer and a stock truck you won't ever see much more boost than you. It needs to be under a hard pull to get the boost up. Remember that in stock form these trucks are only boosting at 14psi or so. That being said 5-7psi isn't bad if all you're doing is revin it up and watching a gauge.

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
Also remember that you're truck is putting less than 200hp to the ground stock. So if you're comparing the lack of power to a newer PS, Duracrap, or Fummins that you may drive for work, its going to feel under powered. Don't want you to waste a lot of time and money only to figure out the truck doesn't make the power you thought it should.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
If you are truly only making 7psi of boost driving it, my vote would be either the EBPV is stuck closed, or you have a Fuel restriction

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
x2 on leaks

Also, There should be a rubber, square profile oring between the intake y and the turbo. It was not there when I got my truck... it was in the valley and its a boost killa

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhhh, thank you so much folks, I haven't started yet just got through turkey shopping . But while I wad looking around I found a rubber oring just kinda laying next to the pedestal. So I wonder if that's anything.....I'm gonna eat n get on this thing. Oh yeah one more thing , the boost was 5lbs max pullin onto the throughway with my foot touchn the firewall.Grrrr

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also bought some new gauges just to make sure its not a bum gauge or bad line ill b back later . To fill ya in.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Ahhhh, thank you so much folks, I haven't started yet just got through turkey shopping . But while I wad looking around I found a rubber oring just kinda laying next to the pedestal. So I wonder if that's anything.....I'm gonna eat n get on this thing. Oh yeah one more thing , the boost was 5lbs max pullin onto the throughway with my foot touchn the firewall.Grrrr
how big was this o ring

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
See if tube is hooked up to map sensor.

See if the point at which it enters the intake plenum is broken or cracked.

Do boost leak test.

Check fuel pressure.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hmm.. could be the O-ring between the intake and turbo.

Mine was ripped... BAD boost leak, I wanted to be cheap. So i realized its the same OD as many oil filters. So, I found one whose o-ring was the same OD, and bought the filter. had to cut the o-ring in half because it was too tall. But it fit like a glove, and sealed up nice and tight!

·
Registered
433 Posts
i put orange gasket maker in place of that o-ring, was in a pinch and need the truck up and running the next day and it's still in there.:doh:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys are good, I found 3 major leaks. 2 at the intake and 1 (which is where the oring was from and I tossed it :doh:) so now 2 are sealed n 1 left to at the turbo where the piping first starts. So now I'm off to the store once again. But seriously thanks much to everybody for input no matter how big or small :D in the words of the terminator, I'll be back!

·
Registered
236 Posts
if still low boost, check fuel pressure. Your fuel pump on top of engine could be weak.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts