Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Friend of mine is converting from oil to gas and has about 50 gallons of fuel oil left in his tank that he will let me take so I can use top off my oil tank. I have a seal-able 55 gallon drum that had hydraulic oil it and I want to use it to transport the fuel oil in. The question that I have is this, do I need to clean/degrease the drum before I fill it with the fuel oil? The reason why I am asking is because I am going to burn the fuel oil and don't want to damage my furnace if the fuel oil is contaminated by any hydraulic oil that was left in the drum.

·
Registered
357 Posts
unless its half full of oil, just pump in the fuel and burn it all. it won't cause any problem at all

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
Yep what he said. Burn it up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the tank I pumped from was an I ground tank, and I think there was some water in the bottom that is now in my 55 gal drum. Is this fuel no good now?

·
nobody likes a quitter
447 Posts
Let it sit for a while then pump from about a foot high or so(in the drum). Once you only have 10 gallons left (+or-) I would pump into a small bucket and check for water. Dump into your tank once you are sure there is no water in your small bucket.

How to Get Water Separated From Oil in an Oil Drum | eHow.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts