Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SJD
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what type of fluid do these trans take in a 97?
i looked around on here a little bit but didn't find a clear answer.
I get the mercon thing but i'm going full syn.
I saw royal purple and mobile 1 full syn ATF works good but I want to double check on this.
so should I go with one of these?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I use Redline MTF full synthetic and put in 4 quarts, excellent product in my experience.

jrc

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use Redline MTF full synthetic and put in 4 quarts, excellent product in my experience.

jrc
How do you like the MTF in the cold? I am running Amsoil suny. ATF right now and seems pretty slick. Better then whatever junk the trans shop put in.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
If you don't have any synchro/grinding problems, I would stick with a good synthetic ATF and not the Redline MTL. Castrol TranSynd is what ZF specifies (at least they did when I got my ZF factory-remanufactued trans). The TranSynd is an Allison spec'ed fluid. Cheers!

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
Ford has done multiple updates to the Mercron V and it is actually a good fluid now, there is no longer the gelling issues that where there a few years ago. I run it in my automatics and Ford manuals! just my $.02 good luck.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Royal Purple ATF in mine and it seems to like it. I have about 5 qts in it to quiet down the noise through the SMF. I'm thinking of going with Redline Syntetic ATF or Amsoil next go round or possibly the Castrol TranSynd. I've heard a lot of guys say that the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF was the demise of a good trans. I never used it but that's a common sentiment.

·
BIG_RED
280 Posts
i run redline d4 and im very happy with it... my .o2

·
SJD
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i went with mobil 1 full syn. atf and i can't complain. drops right into all the gears and it's quiet so i'm happy with this choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.