Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and happy fourth! I have a 2008 5.4L F350 with a 5r110w transmission. Was driving to a job last Friday got off the expressway and stopped at a stop sign and proceeded to go to the light which was red and stopped. Turned green and went to go and went nowhere. No gears work have codes p0730 p0756 put a manual gauge on the tranny and pressure is normal at park and jumps all the hell around in drive 3 2 1? No crazy noises ever heard and replaced multiple solenoids and out of frustration replaced the solenoid body. No luck and hoping before I get it stuck to me someone might have another place too look? Thank you very much! Just FYI I did jack the truck up and the wheels turn in all gears but you can stop the tires with your hands?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
If you could give more detail on the pressures, other than "jumps all the hell around" I might have some ideas. Is it around 10 PSI? 300 PSI?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anywhere from 180-350 psi. The gauge is a cheap ass one from Home Depot made for an air compressor but only thing I could find in the lower pressures as all I have are 5,000 + gauges for hydraulics. I hooked up with two grease whips and a coupler to the side of the tranny. Thank you for the input!

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
My SWAG is that you have a blown clutch seal.

Regardless if I'm right or not, the result of no forward gears is that the trans comes out for rebuild or replacement. It is not something external to the trans, or something easily fixed with the trans in the truck. Something major broke inside the trans. Unless it ran out of ATF.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My SWAG is that you have a blown clutch seal.

Regardless if I'm right or not, the result of no forward gears is that the trans comes out for rebuild or replacement. It is not something external to the trans, or something easily fixed with the trans in the truck. Something major broke inside the trans. Unless it ran out of ATF.
I had four codes P0756, P0730 and two hard codes P02701, P1000..... do you still think that it is internal? Appreciate the help just don’t want to get swindled by a tranny shop or ford! Thanks a million!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also the atf was dead on and pink as new as I do check my fluids weekly👍🏼 Thanks again for any input!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One last thing... when I had the scanner hooked up it showed that I was in 1st gear while in park and 4th gear when in drive? Selector switch in trans going bad? Or Tcm? Thanks again can’t afford to be down another week I am a single full time dad!

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
I had four codes P0756, P0730 and two hard codes P02701, P1000..... do you still think that it is internal? Appreciate the help just don’t want to get swindled by a tranny shop or ford! Thanks a million!
P0756 says that solenoid B (overdrive clutch) is stuck.
P0730 means there is a gear ratio error. Not having any gears will cause a gear ratio error.
P0721 means that the overdrive clutch didn't engage in the proper time.
P1000 means that not all of the tests that the PCM runs have completed.

I think that your problem is that something internal to the transmission has broke and this trans is never going to operate again. It needs to come out and get rebuilt or replaced. Sorry.

One last thing... when I had the scanner hooked up it showed that I was in 1st gear while in park and 4th gear when in drive? Selector switch in trans going bad? Or Tcm? Thanks again can’t afford to be down another week I am a single full time dad!
It is showing 4th gear in park because the PCM has measured that it doesn't have all the gears and it's selecting one that it thinks may still work. The selector switch (I'm not even sure what that is?) is not your problem. Neither is the TCM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it is what it is and I appreciate the help as I can’t keep throwing money at it as I have. Spent almost a grand already in solenoids, body etc. I can rebuild motors and hydraulics but by far no trans guy here lol. I work on heavy equipment not cars. Is there any possibility that the speed sensors are dirty? Again, I am no trans guy but just can’t believe (guess I have too) that I was at a stop sign go and next light stop and no go? No noises or anything is what has me baffled.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
Sure, it's a dirty speed sensor. Yeah, that's the ticket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow thanks for the free sarcasm🤣😂 again I am no transmission guy! I am also not a dumb ass was just asking thx

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
You're welcome! I enjoy giving sarcasm to people that won't listen to me after I told them twice that it has to be something mechanical broken inside the transmission. Then they come up with something totally wrong and ask if that could cause it. If it could, don't you think I would have suggested that first?

If you don't like my advice you are more than welcome to ignore it. In fact, you're welcome to ignore me completely.

Reactions: Dustybumpers

·
don't play well w others
4,153 Posts
Mark is a certified Ford transmission mechanic,FOR FORD, and has been for quite a few years. I'm surprised he hasn't retired by now.

Everything he has ever told me has been spot on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
Mark is a certified Ford transmission mechanic,FOR FORD, and has been for quite a few years. I'm surprised he hasn't retired by now.
Nope, not true. I have never been a mechanic, certified, or otherwise. I was an automatic transmission engineer at Ford from 1988-2007. I also owned and operated a general automotive repair shop. I didn't do much of the wrenching there, I hired good mechanics to do that.

This month marks nine years since I earned money working on cars. I do other things now. Helping out on the forums is just a hobby.

Everything he has ever told me has been spot on.
Thanks!

Reactions: Dustybumpers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, just had the trans dismantled and the coast clutch plate sheared causing my problem. Replaced and rig welded the rest of the trans looked great besides the springs etc. also put in new clutch drum and tig welded (per update) as I carry 14,000 lbs in the truck. Thanks for the advice everyone and hope this helps the next guy in line👍🏼

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My last post (damn auto correct) lol was the coast clutch plate sheared from the cheese dick stamp metal design inertia weld whatever. But Mark was right on as it was not the seal, but the drum itself👍🏼 Again, I don’t work on vehicles (too old) but will school someone in hydraulics and as this transmission has done (schooled me) I realize that it is “hydraulics” in a sense very similiar and did not grasp the concept of how a sensor could tell me something is broken 😂... thank you again everyone and appreciate the help👍🏼

1 - 16 of 16 Posts