Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a YFZ 450 and change the oil every 15 hours with Full Syntetic oil and its getting expensive. Any one here run synthetic diesel oil in their race ATV's and had good results?? Thanks

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
I run Rotella 5w40 in my Rincon. I wish I would have dont it sooner. I have read that the Rotella diesel oil is the only one to use for the Rincons. It might be the same for others or it might not.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I used to use it all the time in my YFZ...

Now that I have a Honda, Ive been using 15-40 Schaeffers in the motor side and 5-40 syn Rotella in the clutch side. (Honda has seperate oil, so you can use friction modifiers in the motor side, without the clutch slipping)

Lots of people I race with use it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I run Rotella 5w40 in my Rincon. I wish I would have dont it sooner. I have read that the Rotella diesel oil is the only one to use for the Rincons. It might be the same for others or it might not.
I've never heard that. What are the advantages of the Rotella 5w40 in the rincon? I might have to give it a try on mine

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
Mine runs smoother, starts better. I checked the oil the other day and it still looks brand new from when I changed it last summer. Im going to change it here soon though. Check out redquads.com. That is where I first read about it.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Think it has much more to do with the 5w40 than it does that is Rotella brand. Also the diesel rating as well. There are a number of diesle oils that have much better addtve packages as well as base oils. Rotellas is popular becasue its low cost and found everywhere and discount stores such as Walmart etc. All the diesle oils seem to have much better additive packages comapred to the gasser coutnerparts. You can see in most every oil line.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Rotella 5w40 is what we all used at the track. We actualy put some bikes on the dyno and Rotella 5w40 did more than royal purple.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Ther is a difference between power and protective lubiration. The thinner the oil weight has been shown to offer the most HP and MPG it has also shown to create the most wear. This was in all synthetcs wirth full break downs to compare wear. The diesel rated oil is usually much better for gassers a like as it has a much better addtive package. Gasser oils have much lower additve packages. Take a look on Mobil ones site as a referance to this. I will say that IMO Royal Purple is one of the most over rated oils that is pushed soley by overhwleming adveritising. I would love to know how much it spends % wise on advo. I am not saying Rotella is a bad pick just that its likely has nothing to do with it being rotella but more the diesel rating and 5w40 if you were using a higher viscoiy oil before this.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
There was a reason why I used Rotella and not something else. I do not like rotella. Im looking for that reason right now.

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sam,e i got a Yfz 450 so that will be a test. I'm going to buy the stainless steel oil filter for the bike so oil will be my only expense and change it every 5-10 hrs.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
So I did a bit more checking off that link and its becasue it runs thru the tranny and they can not have friction modifiers for the wet clutch not to slip etc... Funny that the reason it works best for the atvs is a reason that would make it a lower quailty oil for our trucks. Go figure. Can't have it both ways. The reason for the choce of the diesel oil was as I thought becasue it does have higher levels of anti wear chemicals such as zinc and phosphorus which all diesel oils do and many have even higher levels than rotella. Gasser oils run lower amounts to meet EPA emmissions and reduce wear on cats. So specifically it has to have no friction modifiers to be JASO-MA certified and as it does not have to meet those emissions equipement issues can but does not necessarily have higher levels of zinc and phosphorus etc.. Diesel oils tend to have those level but most all high quialty sythetics oils would also have friction modifiers such as Diesel oils from Schaeffers, Mobil One, Amsoil, etc (the laters have motorcycle specifc oils) but Rotella by their own admission does not as it meets the JASP-MA which means no friction modifiers and that is both Synthetic T and T with triple protection CJ-4. Can't be both ways. I will be sticking with my current decision that no rotella will ever find its way into one of my engines. You cerintaly would never want to run Schaeffers or Mobil One diesel or race oils as they both have high amounts of anti-friction modifiers. Moly being a big one

Definetions of the oil specs for motocycle ATVs an simalr vehicles with wet clutches:

Motorcycle specific oils should carry the JASO Motorcycle Specifications, which are either the JASO-MA / JASO-MA2 specification (no friction modifiers) or the JASO-MB specification (with friction modifiers). The JASO-MA rating specifies that no friction modifiers are used. Note that the JASO-MB motorcycle does have friction modifiers, but is designed for motorcycles that specify the JASO-MB specification. If the oil does not carry one of these specifications, even if the other specifications listed above are present, We recommend finding an oil that has the proper JASO specification clearly labeled on the bottle.

Email form Shell:

"We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.

All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
Thank you for your interest in Shell products."

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer
Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.

Sounds like Rotella maybe a good low cost oil alternative for atv's. I woner if manyhave ever done UOA given hwo often and the small amount used in them. Be intersting to see what those small hi reving engiens do to the oils.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts