Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2002 f250 4x4 truck, The guy said it has manual hub locks in the front, and the on the fly switch in the inside. I have never owned a diesel but I always thought it was either manual or auto? does the switch only change in your in high or low? but you still have to manually lock the front hubs in order to engage 4WD? any help and clarification would be appreciated

·
Registered
129 Posts
In this case, somebody had trouble with the auto hubs, and installed manual units. The switch on the dash is still needed to switch the transfer case though. 2wd, 4H and 4L

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
you can imagine what it does

it spins the axle shafts /differential and drive shaft when locked in to 4x4

so I would only leave it locked in when you anticipate needing 4x4 or winter months if i lived in snow country

it won't hurt anything to leave it locked but it does accelerate wear and knocks some MPG off

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay thanks! i just have really never seen a truck with both switch and manual! that cleared it up, i dont really need to 4x4 that often its mainly for towing boat to and from lake so i dont blow my v6 up lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
It could still have the factory auto hubs. The guy might not have known that they were auto and manual lock. If that's the case you can leave them in the auto ( unlocked ) position and just use the switch. Providing the auto works.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Running the hubs locked while in 2x4 while not ideal, will lessen fuel mileage and add wear to anything that rotates in the front axle assembly.

But years back, some trucks (not sure if Ford did) had this thing called full-time 4x4. All you did was manually shift the transfer case...they front hubs were always locked. Mayeb full-time isn't the correct term though.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Full time was a Jeep thing along with the Quarda-Lock real 4x4 right out of the box. Too bad people didn't know how to use it properly and broke axle after axle till they got rid of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ford had full time four wheel drive in the mid 70 and early 80. My father had a 78 f250 that had it he put a kit in the transfer case to change it and hubs on the truck. The tea aced case was manual #### and also had a 2 low gear which is not seen any more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts