Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok 4x4 was working fine to other day. now when i start the lights come up as normal and then goes off. when i flip the switch to any pos(4x2-4x4) no lights and the transfer case doesnt engage. is there a way to test the motor. i have turned truck on there is no power on any of the wires to the switch or the transfer case motor. do any of the wires has power running to them or is there a way to check the switch? also my fuse 30a in the power distrubution box appears good, any other fuse controling the motor?

·
Registered
298 Posts
no power to the switch means the problem is before it. looks can be decieving. replace the 30a and see if it works then.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok had my brother test the fuses, the relays and everything appears good. it has power to the relays that are on the side of the power dist box. but with it running there is no power to the switch, trans case motor. is there something i am overlooking or how do you know if the gem is bad?

·
KyleMaras7.3LPowerstroke
19 Posts
There are 2 relays under the hood in front of the master cylinder that are the 4hi to 4low, 4low to 4hi switches. $30. Just did it on my 02.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am having the same problem in my 03. The relays wouldn't make any sense in my mind because he has no voltage in the switch itself. After turning the switch it would power the relays and go from there right? He asked the question I have been wondering about for months, Should there be constant voltage at the 4x4 switch on the dash if you were to measure the plug on the bck of it while the truck is running? Also I have heard that the 4x4 should engage when working properly with the key on but the engine off as well meaning that there should be voltage present at the input of the 4x4 switch with the koeo. Is this correct? I have never gotten to try it while it was working lol.

This problem is driving me crazy! I have not had time yet to pull the dash to get to the back of that switch (is there a easier way to get to it?) to test voltage to my switch but, I also have no lights on the dash when 4x4 switch is engaged and no voltage to xfer case motor. I have pulled all associated fuses in the kick panel and tested them for continuity with a multimeter and they are all good. There was about 6-8 of them all together that I found the fuze numbers from a different thread. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had the same exact problem. Turned out to be a burnt wire that was going into the gem module. So before replacing the gem check the wires. I had a shop do mine so don't know the exact wire they replaced, but they went to replace the gem and before they plugged the new one in they noticed the wire.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya mine worked fine, then stopped. replaced the gem and worked fine for a few days, then i reinstalled my chip and it seems like after that it stopped working again. i installed it and needed to remove more glue on the terminal so the first attempt it didnt start. once i reinstalled it everything worked fine until i noticed the 4x4 not working again. would a chip cuase the 4x4 system to mess up? hate to bite the bullet but may have to take it somewhere wed to get it looked at.

·
Stroker in Training
114 Posts
Don't laugh.... check your battery cables. My 4x4 would work one day then not work again for a month, then work once again for a day and then nothing for 1 to 2 months again. I tried TC motor and a dash switch. Then one day my truck was dead and when I hooked up the cables to my passenger battery, the positive lead was loose enough to remove by fingers. I had never touched that battery before. I tightened it and now my 4x4 has worked every time for the last 2 months. Coincident??? I think not.

·
Stroker in Training
114 Posts
Also when i tested the switch there was no power to it at all. Same thing for the TC motor.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i might have to try that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 08 350 is doing the same thing and also just noticed the tow setting will not engage. I changed the fuses and relays under the hood with no luck anything else I can try before the shop?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts