Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a buddy with an '02. The 4x4 on the dash won't engage. No 4x4 light comes on and nothing engages. Anything in particular I should check? Thanx!

·
Registered
782 Posts
i'd check connection on transfer case first.
:poke:

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I'm not arguing with you but I don't see how it was a bad vacumn hose. When the light illuminates on the dash that means the transfer case has shifted to 4X4 High or Low. There is nothing that runs off of vacumn on this side of 4X4. Vacumn is only used to locked the hubs on the ESOF system.

Without ruling out a bad relay, wire harness, etc. I would check for codes in the GEM module. The GEM module is what controls the 4X4 functions. I am having the same problem right now except might light will not come on whatsoever and therefore the transfer case will not shift into 4X4. I've ruled out everything else it could be, checked for stored codes with my AE software, and finally had to end up calling a friend of mine who is a Ford tech and he brought his scanner home to look at the PID for the GEM module. When he looked at the 4X4 side it came back as "Unavailable". Currently, I am waiting on a used module to see if this fixes my problem. I apologize for the book, just wanted to explain it in detail. Hope this helps.

John
this post seemed helpful to me once.
mine was just a vac leak, might my 4x4 light worked.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx!

·
2Cruel
1,645 Posts
could be a ton of crap, Mine was a fuse was loose in the panel you could put a little pressure in a twisting fashion on the fuse and it would work fine. Ended up disasembling the panel and replaced the contacts in the fuse box its actually supper easy

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm having the same issue after a trans install, so I'm wondering if stuff didn't get hooked up right. Have a friend with the same issue, and his will occasionally work after he has messed with hub o rings. My guess would be if there is no light that it is an issue between the transfer case and switch since that is the electronic part. I also have ####ty O rings in the hubs that won't hold pressure but it would still go into 4x4 before the trans install.

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
When I swapped out my transmission my motor on the transfer case stopped working. My friend has a spare I put it in and problem solved.

·
PSA
566 Posts
i have the same issue, but the light comes on...believe my hubs are fubar anyways but I also cant switch the vents from defrost. Heard its all vaccum related so I replaced the vacuum pump (it was shot) and its still not working. Cant seem to find any leaks anywheres.

Any tips?

Thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
i have the same issue, but the light comes on...believe my hubs are fubar anyways but I also cant switch the vents from defrost. Heard its all vaccum related so I replaced the vacuum pump (it was shot) and its still not working. Cant seem to find any leaks anywheres.

Any tips?

Thanks
How have you checked for leaks? I have a little pump tester deal with different fittings and hoses that you stick in you lines or on the nipples of the hubs and you can watch if the gauge holds steady or bleeds off. Best way I have found to test. The lines get weak and brittle, and the o-rings in the hubs get to where they don't seal, if you have a light and with the vacuum issues I would assume it has to be the o-rings or lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts