Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
OverFuelingForYourPlesure
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever done a 4x4 conversion? I totaled my 97 f350 regular cab last week after hitting a patch of black ice and rolling it. so I have been looking for a crewcab obs to replace it with .

I found a nice 97 f350 crewcab price right but the only thing I dont l dont like is it is 2wd and an automatic. but I bout my old truck back from the insurance company because the drivetran wasn't hurt.

anyway to get to my point I am thinging about buying this 2wd and putting the tranmission transfer case and front end out of my old truck in it. I'm not rear worried about the transmission because I have seen where people have done that all the time, but will the front axel and everything bolt right in or are the frames or anything else differant?

thanks

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Believe the frames are different, I'm pretty sure the 2wd frames don't have the spots for the front spring shackle so an rsk will be needed.

·
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent looked at it in person yet do the 2wd f350's have a solid front axel or are the a coil spring setup?

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
OBS's aren't a direct bolt in 4x4 swap like a SD is. The front frame on a 2wd isn't boxed to hold the shackle in. So you will need to box it in or use this as a perfect excuse to do an RSK. The 2wd OBS's use a twin I beam with coils.

·
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks for the info. the only 2wd obs I've been around is a 450 and it looks just like a 4x4 spring setup

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Yep, the F-Superdutys were leaf springs with a mono beam like a med/heavy duty setup. The 250-350 2wds are more like an OBS F150.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'd suggest looking into swapping in 05+ coil spring axles since youre moving up to a land yacht and want to convert to 4x4.

·
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are NOT opposed to a lil lift, you could use a RSK to make front spring hangers.
Or you can go about it the stock way. Just follow this thread OBS Gas to Powerstroke, including 4x4.. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
thanks for the link I like the idea of the rsk because I hear they ride a lot better but I really dont want the lift. this truck is primarly going to be a tow rig and I dont want the back end to be way lower than the front when I hook a trailer to it. pluse I like the rake look. is there any way to do a rsk and keep the stock hight?

·
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd suggest looking into swapping in 05+ coil spring axles since youre moving up to a land yacht and want to convert to 4x4.
that would be sweet but i all ready have the everything to do it with the stock setup I'd hate to have to speed all the money to convert it over

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ive been thinking about swapping a f250 2wd frame into the wrecked f350 im building. The only two things i have noticed is, 1. The 2wd has a slightly different, possibly wider engine cradle. The only issue this will cause, is it mite be hard to get the exact location for the track arm Mounting bracket needed for the D60.... May have to fab your own.... Now you can swap the cradle from your f350 4x4 to the 2wd, but thats allot of factory rivets to knock out.....2. As mentioned above, the 2wd front frame horns are not boxed in for the front spring hanger, but, you can drill 3 rivets, and grind 8inches of weld, and remove the boxes from the 4x4 and transfer directly to the 2wd frame, and the 3 rivet/bolt holes are there in the 2wd frame, so you will know exactly where to mount them.(or just do rsk)....

·
Brian
624 Posts
If you have a welded an some plate you should be fine. Rsk will lift it higher then 2wd and any time you make it 4x4 it is going to sit higher.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts