Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, well its snowing again here in Michigan what a surprise, spent a good part of the day repairing a corroded wire on the truck causing some slow cranking issues in the snow and cold weather so i got that fixed and thought i wanted to drive the truck as it sat all weekend and i was feeling good getting that accomplished so i took the truck to the store to get some baby supplies on the way back got stuck in some snow, went to put it in 4wd and got nothing , only 2wd was working, pissed me off because a week ago it worked like a dream luckily got it out by rocking the truck back and fourth and a little pushing, so i am wondering if anyone else has had this problem, checked the linkage and everything there is ok, i haven't checked to see if the front drive shaft is spinning yet because its till snowing like crazy and its dark and cold, no noise when shifting no clunking or anything, shifts like it normally would just not getting 4wd, should also add that i am not getting 4lo either, so i am thinking something inside the transfer case is the cause, what do you all think

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
did you lock the hubs?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
When you say "not getting" 4LO, you need to be more specific? Does it drive at low range speed, but fail to drive the front axle? Or does it drive at normal range speed? What happens when you put the t-case in Neutral?

Auto or manual hubs?

Yeah, you need to look under the truck and have someone drive it slowly and see what is / isn't turning (forward shaft, axle shafts).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is manual hubs, and i did have 2wd in lo and high setting, so i am assuming maybe front hubs? i have to get home and take a look

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right now im thinking its a hub, left side hub is nice and firm when i turn it and the other feels like a free spin, ill get out tomorrow to look at it, clearing snow has me beat today

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it was the right side hub, it was off just a bit to not allow it to spline onto the shaft so i got it to move on and off freely and now my 4wd works great again, thanks everyone for the input, was worried it was the transfer case, never had that happen before

1 - 7 of 7 Posts