Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Work in progress
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is pretty much a spin off thread to moore20017.3 and big_stroker threads.
Go ahead and bash away you built auto's with PCS controllers.:blah: Its something I wanted to do ever since I got my truck.
That said, I have about 16 hours into the swap so far and dont have a whole lot to show for it because the input shaft seal on the ZF6 is leaking and has to come out. I might have tore it when I reasembled the trans. It runs and moves but leaks out the bottom of the bell housing.
I have been taking alot of pictures, so if anyone thinks they might want more let me know because nows the time to take them. I will post some pictures tonight when I get home.

Heres a parts list of what I had:
Manual floor hump
ZF6 trans for 4x4
Input shaft with 31 splines (auto has 24 splines)
New Master cylinder and salve (pre-bled)
New pressure plate and clutch disk from Valair (ceramic/kevlar) and resurfaced flywheel {Valair sent pressure plate, clutch disk, pilot bearing and throw-out bearing}
Updated shift fork
1/8" spacer plate to go between the motor and ZF6
ZF6 Trans lines
flywheel cover
brake peddal (skinnier then the auto brake pedal)
clutch pedal
stock trans cooler (I had a 6.0 trans cooler)

I ordered the seal from midwest trans and should be here hopefully this weekend so I can put it in. I have read I can take the seal out the front with a seal puller and not have to take the trans apart. I will let you know what I find.

·
C&C Customs
1,258 Posts
awesome i wanna do it! you wanna sell the 6.0 cooler

·
Registered
918 Posts
what has been updated with the updated shift fork.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ya I kinda figured that so the same ? still applies LOL I am wondering if my 04 wold already have this and if it helps with any thing like shifting

·
Work in progress
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I kinda figured that so the same ? still applies LOL I am wondering if my 04 wold already have this and if it helps with any thing like shifting
I have never had to deal with a bad clutch fork lol, but it tends to bend or break causing the clutch not to get fully depressed. Difficulty gettting trans into gear, pedal wont fully go down, pedal gets stuck are just some that I have heard.

·
Work in progress
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picture of interior

Manual brake on left and Auto on right

Clutch and brake pedal installed

Carpet ripped out

Manual floor hump over auto hump

Auto hump cut out

again....

·
Work in progress
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clutch fork and throw-out bearing

Valair Kevalar side with stock organic

Valair Ceramic side with stock organic

Spacer plates Manual on the left and auto on the right

again...

Cermamic side goes out

installed clutch

installed trans WITHOUT cutting dowel pins. The pins came up 1" short of bottoming out

Auto trans line on top Manual trans line on bottom(partial)

Heres the plug that goes into the gear slector on the drivers side of the trans.
You have to tie together purple/light green tracer with grey/red tracer together also Blue/orange tracer with yellow/red tracer.

Heres a link to the rest of my pictures Photobucket

·
Work in progress
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got it all put back together. It runs and drives!
I do have a couple issues though. 1. I have a extended crank problem. It cranks twice as long as normal, maybe a second or two before it will pop off. Once its running, the truck idles and runs fine. I dont have my chip back from Matt R. yet, so I am wondering if thats why I have the extended crank issue. 2nd is when I drove it last night, I put the skinny pedal(accel pedal) to the floor and the truck seemed to have a miss or hiccup. It only did it once, like it missed a beat but ran fine after. Any ideas?
Also I am looking for a wiring diagram for the auto wireing harness so I can hook up my reverse lights.

·
Registered
218 Posts
thanx for the thread, pictures are great! been wantin to do this for over 3 yrs and just haven't got around to it. maybe i missed somethin, but what is the difference in the auto and manual gears for the transfercase input?

·
Work in progress
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanx for the thread, pictures are great! been wantin to do this for over 3 yrs and just haven't got around to it. maybe i missed somethin, but what is the difference in the auto and manual gears for the transfercase input?
Splines and ID are different.

Well I drove it around last night and to work this morning, and I love it! I am still waiting on my chip to get back. It still hiccups when I push on the accelerator pedal to much. I have to ease into it every time I shift other wise it hiccups or seem skips a couple beats. I guess I will see if the chip reburn will fix it, should be here this week.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So the only change to the transfer case is to buy the 200 dollars manual case input shaft. The transfer case it self will bolt up?

Where did you buy the ZF6 and clutch pedal. I have been wanting to do this for a while but I have been looking at buying a hole wrecked truck and taking out what I need.

MIke

·
Work in progress
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the only change to the transfer case is to buy the 200 dollars manual case input shaft. The transfer case it self will bolt up?

Where did you buy the ZF6 and clutch pedal. I have been wanting to do this for a while but I have been looking at buying a hole wrecked truck and taking out what I need.

MIke
Yup. NV273 and NV271 will both bolt upto the ZF6. It has to have the correct input shaft to work.
I bought it from a member here on PSN. I would buy a donor truck as you will need the floor hump.

·
No 6.0
625 Posts
Did you swap out the input shaft yourself? How hard was it?

And does the ESOF transfer case still work? Any wiring changes to it?

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Looking good. I wish I would have taken pictures of when i hooked up my backups lights and stuff but i didn't. Took me for ever to find out witch wires it was. Good luck

·
Work in progress
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you swap out the input shaft yourself? How hard was it?

And does the ESOF transfer case still work? Any wiring changes to it?
Yup did it myself. Its pretty easy, just lay everything out on the bench as you took it out. Take pictures if all else fails, but they are pretty simple. Also I would order a new input seal for the transfer case if your doing it, as it needs to be removed too. I havent tested the ESOF yet, I am waiting to put u-joints in the shaft. No wiring changes as of yet. I clicked it over and the 4x4 light came on so I think its working. :shrug:

·
Work in progress
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking good. I wish I would have taken pictures of when i hooked up my backups lights and stuff but i didn't. Took me for ever to find out witch wires it was. Good luck
Thanks. What wires did you use? I still havent hooked mine up so maybe I can take some pictures and post them up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
:whs: I too would appreciate knowing which wires and where to find them VERY much. I'm doing my swap this week.

I'm also going to be swapping the input shaft out of the transfercase like opieg01, do you have the torque specs on the transfercase bolts?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts