Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 ccsb 7.3 240k

i was driving around and flipped the ts chip (swamps) to my all out tune, almost newer use it but that day i felt lucky…

wot from stand still roast tires for a bit then i BANGs in to 2nd gear and then shifts to 3rd (nothing odd but the hard shift, that tune shifts hard) then i let of the trottle…

slow down at a stop sign and drives away, start at 1st gear then shift to 2nd and the engine hit the few limiter… the second gear is just slipping as h*ll…

what happened ? the trans have never slipped before…
do the clutches go bad that fast ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trans have a lot of miles on it? Chances are it might have been on it's last leg or you did internal damage do some other hard parts.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
I suspect that you broke the intermediate one way clutch when it went BANG on the 1-2 shift.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the trans apart today and i found that the forward clutch was really burnt.
the clutches or what was left of them was really hard to get of the "front ring gear"

its not to hard to tell this is my problem..
but I'm a little scared to just put some new clutches in there and call it a day.
( I'm going to change all clutches and gasket in the whole trans )
but what is the cause of the burnt clutches ? I'm going to check the piston for the forward clutch..
i checked the VB plungers and they are "free and springy"

could it be that easy that the clutches was worn and finally gave up and it will
work if replaced ?

The trans oil is a little darker brownish color. i changed the oil about a year and 5k miles ago,
( this is my weekend warrior )
that oil was about the same color as now, a bit browner than new oil.
maby i should have seen this coming ?

the "sprag" at the top of this picture, is that the one-way clutch you talked about mark ?
i couldn't find anything wrong with it. but the more i think about it
i think the truck only wanted to go forward in manual 1st gear?

please give me some input guys! and thanks for the replies mark and lbsand !

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
Yes, that is the one way clutch at the top of the photo. Some people call it a sprag.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could the worn forward clutches be the cause for the bang at the 1-2 shift ?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
Probably not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts