Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just started about 5 weeks ago at the lake pulling the boat out of the water. Slipped BAD till it tried to shift to 2nd and killed the motor. After restarted it didnt slip at all. It does not slip when driving at all. it has done it almost every weekend at the lake. I learned that if I put it in 1st instead of drive it wont slip. Also if it was in drive and slipping I could drop the shifter to 1st without letting off the gas and it would instantly stop slipping and take off.

So, no I just drained the fluid, changed the filter, installed a transgo shift kit. Refilled with Mobil 1 full synthetic fluid.
The old fluid was 45000 miles old, the truck sits unless it is pulling a trailer. The fluid didn't look bad but smelled burned. The was a little bit of debris on the magnet in the pan but nothing serious.

Sure ####s nice now and I haven't had a chance to get to the lake yet, I cant wait to see if it is different now.

So any ideas as to what is going on?

·
Registered
253 Posts
It just started about 5 weeks ago at the lake pulling the boat out of the water. Slipped BAD till it tried to shift to 2nd and killed the motor. After restarted it didnt slip at all. It does not slip when driving at all. it has done it almost every weekend at the lake. I learned that if I put it in 1st instead of drive it wont slip. Also if it was in drive and slipping I could drop the shifter to 1st without letting off the gas and it would instantly stop slipping and take off.

So, no I just drained the fluid, changed the filter, installed a transgo shift kit. Refilled with Mobil 1 full synthetic fluid.
The old fluid was 45000 miles old, the truck sits unless it is pulling a trailer. The fluid didn't look bad but smelled burned. The was a little bit of debris on the magnet in the pan but nothing serious.

Sure ####s nice now and I haven't had a chance to get to the lake yet, I cant wait to see if it is different now.

So any ideas as to what is going on?
I'm no trans expert but I have destoyed my share.

Sounds like you over heated it, cause it's burnt. Does not help the clutches to do what they are supposed to when they get hot with poor fluid..

I think the 1st gear thing increases line pressure? Probably gave you enough to hide the issue. I think the kit you put in also increases the line pressure.

Do you have a trans gauge? Tells you alot besides when to back off.
Try pulling the boat out in 4lo, if you have manual locking hubs, just don't lock them. This is kind on the trans.
Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have a trans temp guage. Think I am going to add one soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts