Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DirtyMike
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I have searched this forum for 3 days now and I cant find a straight answer for what is going on with my truck. 2001 F350 156000 miles. A few days ago the transmission started shifting hard from 1-2 only after I get to about 25mph or around 3000 rpms. When I let out of the pedal, it will shift and 2-3 and 3-od shifts are fine. This happened one time before about 4 months ago, and then all of a sudden now. I know I may need a rebuild but any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Check fluid level and quality. Any codes flashing at the trans shifter?

Seeing you have an 01, you may have the diode that is causing problems

·
DirtyMike
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No flashing shifter light, but Im leaning towards the diode problem. My question is, does fixing that require a full rebuild?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
No flashing shifter light, but Im leaning towards the diode problem. My question is, does fixing that require a full rebuild?
It requires that the trans be removed and the offending parts be removed and replaced with better parts. So yes it does.

I guess the route I recommend depends on what you plan to do with the truck

If you are dumping it ASAP, don't do anything. If you must because it broke before you can dump it, get Aamco or whomever is cheaper.

If you plan to have NO, ZERO, NADA mods and plan to get a new truck in a year or two, get a Ford reman. They might not appreciate your mods and your warranty can be voided because of mods. BTDT.

If you plan to drive your truck into the ground, get a BTS. Why? Because while their warranty is 2 yrs, they have absolutely no limits on what you can do. After that 2 yrs is up, you pay for shipping and they fix it for free. To give you an idea, the TC will be replaced and it costs about $1000. Chances are you will break the trans AFTER the warranty of 2 or 3 yrs is up so this would be a good move.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts