Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
01 Standard Cab F250
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on a good quality inexpensive 4R100 for my 01 7.3? Has anyone had any experience with the ATS rebuilt transmissions?

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Id go Brians truck shop(BTS) or Diesel Innovations(DI) or John Wood(JW). It kinda depends on your location. Bts is in Arkansas, DI is in houston, JW is in california i think.

·
nobody likes a quitter
447 Posts
I just put a BTS in my truck after my ats took a sh#t. ATS is overpriced and certainly not the best out there. I wish I was more informed before I made that purchase. Just do a search on Ats and you will see how many people are unhappy with their transmissions.

This is the first one I found.
#### ATS! - Powerstroke Nation

·
Registered
666 Posts
how is the DI trans compared to the BTS in build and price?

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
Any recommendations on a good quality inexpensive 4R100 for my 01 7.3? Has anyone had any experience with the ATS rebuilt transmissions?
Plan on spending anywhere from $2500 for a Suncoast up to $4300 for a BTS. BTS is the way to go when it comes to 4R100's, and word had it that the customer service is second to none.

But your question asks for inexpensive.... My .02 cents would be a good TC (PI stallion) and a JW or BTS valve body. If you go with a BTS VB that will be credited to you in future upgrades that you do with him...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've got a BTS in mine since '05. I drove down to have it done, and Brian and his family treated me like I was part of the family. About 18 months later, the tranny started slipping pretty bad. I called Brian and told him what was going on, he shipped me a replacement right away at no cost and no questions asked. He also made all the arrangements to have the core picked up and shipped back. I'm sure if I was closer he'd have done the install as well, but I put the replacement in myself. I haven't had a spot of trouble since and this truck is either plowing snow or pulling an 8000 pound trailer 90% of the time. Call me a very happy customer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hands down, BTS is the way to go. It is built to the specs of your truck and what you do with it. Customer service is the best. I got a rebuilt one 3 years ago and it blew up. I should have bought a BTS to begin with but now have one. I should of listened to Buhidar at Truck Source Diesel in San Antonio 3 years ago. I got what I deserved. Here is the result of what you can expect from a BTS.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
ok thx.

·
Registered
666 Posts
what kind of tc doesJW use?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I don't know what you consider inexpensive, but John Wood is building awesome tranny's for $3,600. I just watched him build one a couple weeks back. Very impressive.
But will he fix it after 3 yrs and will there be a limit on power levels?

·
Registered
259 Posts
The entry level trans is rated for 375 at the wheels. You get a written 3yr warranty. Pretty sure he'll fix it if you break it at that power level :D

Don't get me wrong, BTS is a great trans. JW's just seems very reasonable, to me.

It uses a 6.0 converter.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The entry level trans is rated for 375 at the wheels. You get a written 3yr warranty. Pretty sure he'll fix it if you break it at that power level :D

Don't get me wrong, BTS is a great trans. JW's just seems very reasonable, to me.

It uses a 6.0 converter.
But if I exceed that power level?

yes, I agree it costs a few bucks less ($700) but what happens if I break it AFTER 3 yrs? Who pays? IIRC, Dockboy went racing with a BTS and broke it several times. Each time was paid for by BTS. That is, unless the case was broken.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't know. But don't you think we should let the Original Poster decide for himself?

What say you OP?

I'd also like to take a look at Brian's operation one day. Hopefully within the next year or so...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I don't know. But don't you think we should let the Original Poster decide for himself?

I'd also like to take a look at Brian's operation one day. Hopefully within the next year or so...
Well, I'm just raising that question. If someone knows, they can chime in. DOCKBOY and others have mentioned that BTS will fix it for free AFTER the 2 yrs are up which makes the $700 more an absolute bargain. Since he doesn't care about the power levels, there is no issue of what happens if you go over 375HP. Other than that, both builders have about the same reputation so that is what I felt gave BTS the edge when it came time to buy a trans, at least for me.

Seen it. Unless JW has naked hotties walking around the shop, I am not sure that it isn't going to be a push as far as that goes. BTW, Tina, Brian's receptionist ain't half bad at all. Decent eye candy

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a Suncoast and couldnt be more happier myself. I drove to Florida with my stocker in the back of a rented Kia to pick it up. They took the time to crack my tranny open to show me what had failed on it. After that I was given the grand tour and watched how each tranny component they make is made. Top notch if you ask me. I always wondered how a torque convertor was made and finally got to watch it being done!! It came to the point where I had to beg them to stop talking to me so I can drive home!!

Bottom line is that there a many reputable builders for the 4R100. It took me almost a year to figure out where I wanted to get my tranny from since the first slip. Do your homework and find a builder that will fit your needs and your budget.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
It took me almost a year to figure out where I wanted to get my tranny from since the first slip.

Do your homework and find a builder that will fit your needs and your budget.
Your trans lasted a year after it started slipping? How did you manage that? Whenever mine starts slipping, it is usually toast. One day I noticed that the rpm was higher than it should be by 200 rpms as I was going to work. Parked it at work and by night (5 miles later), the trans was limping along.

Budget? :poke: What's that? I thought you opened up the wallet and when it is empty and the charge cards are full, that was it? LOL

·
Registered
486 Posts
Your trans lasted a year after it started slipping? How did you manage that? Whenever mine starts slipping, it is usually toast. One day I noticed that the rpm was higher than it should be by 200 rpms as I was going to work. Parked it at work and by night (5 miles later), the trans was limping along.

Budget? :poke: What's that? I thought you opened up the wallet and when it is empty and the charge cards are full, that was it? LOL
Lasted ALMOST a year. 2nd and 3rd gear clutches were toast. I have no budget, only debt. Its the american way.........

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Brian has always stood behind his trannies for us. One of our customers has a 2wd 7.3 which we built to right around 500 rwhp. After we finished the build, along with the trans, he took the truck home and put a 4/6 lowering kit on it. He neglected to shorten the rear drive shaft (2wd transmissions have a slip yoke in the rear of the tranny, instead of a flange like 4x4s have on the tcase). He was running 100+ mph down the freeway and hit an expansion joint. When the suspension compressed it bottomed out the driveshaft hard enough to crack the entire transmission case lengthwise, breake the flexplate, and push the crank inside the motor which required a new longblock. The transmission was a total loss. We sent it back to Brian and we got back a brand new transmission, converter etc. He charged for a case and that was it. I will not say how much he charged, because i honestly do not beleive it should have been so little. it was WAY less than what a core charge is..for a working trans.

Little things like this are why he builds all of our Ford trannies, and always will. Hes just good people.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts