Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum. I know this has probably been beaten to death but I’m trying to figure out the best option for a transmission.
I’ve got a 2002 F-250 7.3 4x4 and have recently purchased a larger 5w camper(42’). Dry weight on the camper is around 12k. The last 2 outings with the camper have got my transmission to overheated levels, to the point I had to pull over to cool down. I installed a larger trans cooler after the first overheating issue and it helped a little but ultimately, I know I’m due for a rebuild/replacement at 300k on the original tranny.
So my question is, what is the best option for a “bulletproof” transmission built for towing. I know a lot comes down to what kind of budget I have. To answer that, I don’t really have a budget, I just want the best bang for my buck. I don’t want to spend $6k on a transmission that I can get for $3k. And I don’t want to pay for stuff I don’t need. I’m not competing or pulling sleds. Just want to get my camper up and down the road with no issues. I’ve got plenty of power up front, just need to get it to the ground.
Do I rebuild with certain components or go with a drop in reman?
I’ve done some looking and I keep seeing BTS Transmission’s come up for towing.

Sorry to be long winded, just trying to give as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

·
Project Shamu
2,710 Posts
@Lt.Dan
Do you tow with yours? If so, what kind of weight are you pulling and what distances?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually got it in preparation for a future trailer. I'm planning on getting a 5th wheel, around 35' for the family. So far the heaviest trailer that has been on it was only around 5,000lbs, made a climp up about 7,000 ft from Sea level up to Shaver Lake. Winding roads and a couple 8% grades, it never skipped a beat. On the way down, I just turned off OD and coasted the whole way down, only had to touch the brakes a few times on the 8% downhills. Never got over 200*.

When speaking with Dan, the salesmen, before I bought the trans, I told him I plan on having 20-24k lbs GCVW, and he practically laughed and dared me to do it.

·
Native Californian
391 Posts
Just want to get my camper up and down the road with no issues. I’ve got plenty of power up front, just need to get it to the ground.
Do I rebuild with certain components or go with a drop in reman?
I’ve done some looking and I keep seeing BTS Transmission’s come up for towing.
The 4R100 is a get what you pay for. Do not skimp here. Yes, BTS or Dieselsite are about the best you can get. If budget is not a concern, get the best available and don't look back. The 4R100 isn't cheap to build and is expensive to fix, not to mention being stranded while towing. Been there, done that. BTS would get my vote simply because he knows the tuning and can get the truck running 100% with the new trans.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Bts b/c I have one.

Your own rebuilds b/c I’ve had a few done as well (all updates).

Dieselsite b/c they actually reply to you and their transmissions are tanks (i don’t have one but I bet you money it’s no pos).

Those are the three options I’ve done so far. Full billet build for a diy is around $4800. Full billet from dieselsite is $6500. If you’re not concerned about money as you’ll say, you’ll be surprised what dieselsite can do for you for a lot less.

Infact, I’m building one off an excursion and converting it to 4x4 with all updates and a dieselsite billet input.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Chris Garrett,.....owner of A1 Transmission in Northern Georgia,..... is one of the best in the business. 4R100's & E4OD's are his specialty. From mild to wild,........doesn't matter. Backs up his work too. He's the ONLY guy I'll go to. (770) 965-0035

FWIW,....
He's not near as well known as some,.....but his work rivals BTS, John Woods, Dorsey and may others.

https://www.facebook.com/A1-Transmission-of-Ga-Inc-174391162575380/?fb_dtsg_ag=AdzSQ-PQCjqBglsIcQZB7WBXuRIsKNyZ-0d6Ukxw-RKQgg:AdyW2FX7l_mrUkmt0Hi8U881jrPl3X_lQMS6z1jLjCh9gA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the input. I’m going to mull it over for a few days before I make a decision. I don’t have a long trip planned for a couple months so I’ve got some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts