Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
IBEWLU 354
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my trans has started acting up. took it to the shop and had it looked at and the fluid and filter changed. they told me there was some metal in the pan but no brass. so my problem is that second gear is non existant. it will begin to shift but will not drop into gear until i feather the throttle down. dont have any bad noises. is this my TC going bad or are the clutch packs for second gear just worn out? any thought would be appreciated. i know very very little when it comes to tranny work.

·
IBEWLU 354
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i am also wondering if anyone knows a place in utah that does quality work that can rebuild trannys if thats what is wrong and how much it costs to do so. not looking for a bts racing style. more just a standard rebuild with a shift kit upgrade

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,062 Posts
That's not a torque converter problem. If it were the torque converter it would drive poorly at all speeds in all gears. It is either a bad intermediate clutch or intermediate one way clutch. Either way it needs a rebuild.

·
Registered
552 Posts
i am also wondering if anyone knows a place in utah that does quality work that can rebuild trannys if thats what is wrong and how much it costs to do so. not looking for a bts racing style. more just a standard rebuild with a shift kit upgrade
a suncoast tranny is $2500 and a precision industries converter was under 1K (same converter BTS uses), i think you will have atleast that in a local shop and possibly less quality.

·
IBEWLU 354
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah had it looked at and tested today and the splines on second gear are gone rebuild here i come

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
I know where there is a tranny that just had the master rebuild kit 500.00 installed in it and has not been installed yet for 750 if interested. You tranny did the same thing as my last one.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
nix the shift kit and put a JW or BTS valve body in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts