Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a brand new stock tranny put in my F350, new converter and all. I was wanting my tranny to last for along time as everyone else does, and i was wondering what i could do to it to help prolong the life of it? I dont tow anything with it, no major horsepower, just an edge evolution programmer, with built in gauges, settings, tow, race and extreme, i just have a lead foot sometimes but i know the limits. But anyways, i was wondering what i could do to it like an aftermarket valve body or something, that would make it last, and the only other thing im gonna do to it is some exhaust, so like i said no major horsepower.

Thanks

·
Crazy Redneck
867 Posts
Start with dumping the edge tunner. Many an edge tunner has taken out transmissions. A custom tunned chip from any of our fine sponcers would be much more friendly to your tranny.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
:whs: Dump the Edge and get custom tunes and a John Wood or BTS valve body. I also added an external spin on filter & a trucool cooler.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i had thought about going with a Bully Dog 6 Position 4-Bank Chip, whould this be better on the tranny????

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
You'll pry have much better luck going with a custom chip. There are alot to choose from. Check out the vendor section, talk to a couple of em and see what ya want to try!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who would be a good one to talk to, i dont want anything major, and also, how do get info on the valve bodies?

Sorry for being a big noob

·
Registered
666 Posts
go with gearhead. good power, spot on shifts and no smoke until position 6.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Who would be a good one to talk to, i dont want anything major, and also, how do get info on the valve bodies?

Sorry for being a big noob
Call and talk to BTS and tell them what you want your tranny to do and they will set-up the valvebody for you.$225.00 870-422-FORD
Dump the Edge and say no to BullyDog.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Im gonna ask a dumb question.

Did you replace or atleast flush out your old lines and cooler/coolers?
New bypass valve?

Im with tbolt. Added filtration will do wonders.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
Along with a VB i would reccomend a nice torque converter along with it. whether you go with John Wood, BTS, or builder of your preference, they should be able to put one in with no problems.

It took just a couple of week to trash my trans and TC when i got my tunes. The TC was the first to go, it was warped bad and there were hot spots all over from overheating.

·
"mad cow" member
642 Posts
I'd dump the edge and forget the bullydawg.
Gauges and a chip from one of the many reputable tuners would be a good place to start.
Gauges to keep an eye on things, chip with settings such as stock, daily driver, tow and possibly a full boogie.

A valve body and whatever else they recommend from either BTS or John Wood is the best route to go for trans longevity.

If you're closer to So Cal John Wood, closer to Ark BTS.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im gonna ask a dumb question.

Did you replace or atleast flush out your old lines and cooler/coolers?
New bypass valve?

Im with tbolt. Added filtration will do wonders.
Yea the shop that did it did flush out the lines, but not sure about the bypass valve, gonna talk to them today and ask about that,

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Call and talk to BTS and tell them what you want your tranny to do and they will set-up the valvebody for you.$225.00 870-422-FORD
Dump the Edge and say no to BullyDog.
Not really gonna go big on the horsepower, and dont tow anything, i just want the tranny to last with the chip and good shifts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh and the good thing about the Edge programmer i have is, ive not had it for 30 days, and i can send it back and get my money back

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Return the edge, I used to run one until I learned about custom tunes, get a custom 6 position chip from Beans, Swamps, Jodi, or many of the other sponsors on this website, they are dyno tested specific tunes for our trucks to get the best shift points and power out of what ever set-up you have with you truck! They are much easier on the trans and probably all components of the truck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Return the edge, I used to run one until I learned about custom tunes, get a custom 6 position chip from Beans, Swamps, Jodi, or many of the other sponsors on this website, they are dyno tested specific tunes for our trucks to get the best shift points and power out of what ever set-up you have with you truck! They are much easier on the trans and probably all components of the truck
Yea, that sounds like what im gonna do, is beans pretty good on prices, and tech support?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yea, that sounds like what im gonna do, is beans pretty good on prices, and tech support?
I've had very good luck with them, great customer service, awesome to deal with, and excellent tunes.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I've had very good luck with them, great customer service, awesome to deal with, and excellent tunes.
I have had great luck with Jonathan and Matt @ Beans, Matt @ Gearhead is a super guy as well to deal with. IMO either place is going to help you out and you will be happy.:ford:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys i almost forgot, when i got my truck, then took it to have the transmission redone, it had a Chip in it, cause the shop pulled it out. It has TS Performance on it, could i get that reprogrammed for my truck? The only thing is that it doesent have the switch that plugs into it to switch between programs, can i buy another one of these?

Heres some pics of it

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

P.S. Sorry about the large photo's

1 - 20 of 31 Posts