Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey thank you for taking the time to look at my thread. Ok so this is how it all started... I was pulling my boat in reverse and it stalleda couple of times after my tranny started kinda acting funny I'd stop at a light (w/o my boat hooked up) and it wouldn't down shift until a second or more and some times it wouldn't go back into gear off the line until a second or more. Then a month or so later it got even worse I barley move in drive (baby crawling speed) slowly press the pedal and rpm's jus climb feels like it is trying to get into gear but just won't happen I can move in 1st and 2nd but not with drive until I shift from first and second manually then drive and it still slipps quite often but after time it got up to about 55 60 but now reverse works fine goes into gear normally. I tried to drop the trans but after I drained the fluid(black btw) after the pan was dropped I was horrified there was metal particles stuck to the plug magnet :-/ I am getting an overhaul kit because I'm a diy kinda person(and cheap content spend more then 350) but I have no clue if that will fix what may be wrong it's my only vehicle and I don't want to take it out of commission for too long any advice will be increadabley appreciated I need to have it fixed by the end on Jan :-/
Oh and the truck is an 03 7.3L with 4r100 and 260,000 mi

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
Metal particles on the plug magnet is normal. Your fluid being black is not. Sounds like your clutches are toast.

I would suggest having someone who knows trannys do it if you don't have any experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was going to get one of the overhaul kit books and do the overhaul in a hobby shop on the marine corps base I work at because they have just about all evry tool needed for almost anything including mechanics there to help plus it only costs $5 an hour and I don't have enough money to send it to a shop :-(

·
TennesseeHillbilly
1,318 Posts
A common issue you need to look for is the snap ring that holds the center support in place will come out causing the center support to move out of position. Be sure you get a kit that has a spiral lock ring to replace it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Well I was going to get one of the overhaul kit books and do the overhaul in a hobby shop on the marine corps base I work at because they have just about all evry tool needed for almost anything including mechanics there to help plus it only costs $5 an hour and I don't have enough money to send it to a shop :-(
I have fixed several of my trucks many years ago in the Marine Corps garages and they are well stocked with tools and equipment.. It sounds like you have a toasted tranny and while you may be able to get it out and replace it easily, I really doubt you will be able to rebuild it there unless you have already done it before and know what you will need. I spent $70.00 on the ATG repair manuals for the 4R100 when I was at 150K.. several inches of the best rebuild info available for this tranny. One pass through those manuals and I paid real money for the only thing I have NOT done myself. The only way I would do a DIY rebuild is if I had a spare to try the first rebuild.

I can appreciate lack of fundinitis, but if you want to be driving this truck I would look into a recycled unit from someone like LQK, I have seen them around 1k and you would do the install.

Semper Fi.... PM sent

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well there is a scrap yard that has a f250 7.3 with the 4r100 about an hour away from me I was planning on pulling that one off and finding what I need from it or hopefully being that it could hypothetically be in good condition(the truck was a roll over tragedy) and either take parts from the tranny for the overhaul or hopefully replacing it all together. When I get the kit I will definatley find one with the spiral lock ring. Any advice on the best quality overhaul/rebuild kit for around $300 or so?
Once a marine always a marine semper fi NorCalDiesel

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Well there is a scrap yard that has a f250 7.3 with the 4r100 about an hour away from me I was planning on pulling that one off and finding what I need from it or hopefully being that it could hypothetically be in good condition(the truck was a roll over tragedy) and either take parts from the tranny for the overhaul or hopefully replacing it all together. When I get the kit I will definatley find one with the spiral lock ring. Any advice on the best quality overhaul/rebuild kit for around $300 or so?
Once a marine always a marine semper fi NorCalDiesel
If you could get it for under 600, that would be a good deal and would give you something to start with. Swap them and see if you can then rebuild your fried one.

Look in your email for the manuals....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts