Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stripped two transmission pan bolts using inch/lb wrench.Pan is not leaking.Would like to use heli-coil for piece of mind.Any one know what size are the factory bolts or how to size them so I get the proper heli-coil?

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
The bolt is M8x1.25

Where in Northern Va are you? I have plenty of Helicoil thread repair.
You will need a drill bit size 21/64 and a M8x1.25 tap for the install.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolt is M8x1.25

Where in Northern Va are you? I have plenty of Helicoil thread repair.
You will need a drill bit size 21/64 and a M8x1.25 tap for the install.
Thank you! I am about 10-miles north(Springfield).I grew near Dumfries.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
I have 1 stripped trans. pan bolt and mine is not leaking either. I went to NAPA and bought a Helicoil repair kit NAPA #770-3093. It came with 12 helicoila M8x1.25 tap and the install tool. I also bought some spare helicoil NAPA #770-3199.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for those part numbers.I bought the truck new.Years ago when I Pulled the pan for the first time-the bolts did not come out nice-JOB-1 at Ford!How well do heli-coils work?

·
Registered
699 Posts
How much room do you have in the trans casing for drilling and tapping? The trans shop stripped my helicoiled hole, so I would need to go another size up. Is it possible?

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to know also.I almost wonder if it would be better to use studs.I have been taking my pan on and off to tune my Transgo tugger plate.I don't see my bolt holes holding up to this.

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
You guys are lucky. All my bolts hold fine but my pan still leaks. :(

I really like the stud idea though. Would help locating the gasket and such.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
If you guys are suffering from stripped threads on the case then you need to stop cranking the bolts down so tight. You could do studs with stock type pans. It only takes 10 ft lbs. to tighten the pan bolts. Anything over that is way to tight. If your pan is still leaking you have bent the holes in the pan which does not allow the pan to tighten up correctly.

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
My pan just randomly started leaking from the back. Not once have I taken the pan off to do anything. I put a new gasket back in and it still leaks. Wasn't a Ford gasket though so I guess i'll try that and a new pan.

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
make sure its not the tail housing gasket. i got to fix mine. also must be nice to only have 1 or 2 stripped ones i have at least 6 stripped out. but the pans been on and off over a dozen times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts