Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4R100 O/D Light blinking and slipping out of Overdrive

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mark Kovalsky 
#1 ·
A little bit of back story. I bought this 2001 f350 7.3psd 6 months ago. The previous owner had a complete transmission rebuild and heavy duty torque converter installed 20,000 miles ago. No problems until my last trip when it started to rev a little higher and shift harder, especially 1-2. 2-3 is better and then when it gets to OD drops out like its in nuetral. It does this whether the temp is 170 or 210. The fluid does not smell burnt. I used my edge programmer to pull these codes that are new.

P-07811....1-2 Shift Malfunction

P-0732....2nd Gear Ratio Error

P-1139....WIF Indicator Circuit Error

P-0381....Glow Plug Indicator Circuit Error

These are new. Not sure if its important or not but my 3rd bake light is out since this happened as well. Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Just found 2 blown fuses Backup lamp and powerpoint fuses. Replaced them and it did not help.

Josh

See less See more
#3 ·
There are two scenarios I can come up with where it would shift to neutral, or at least appear to shift to neutral.

One is a bit farfetched but within the realm of possibility. That would be the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor) failing. The problem with this is that it will shift to first gear as it is failing, so that would have to happen when the trans shifts 3-4.

The more likely scenario is that the overdrive clutch snap ring has come out of it's groove and the overdrive clutch has fallen apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.