Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My truck is shifting really hard, like a kick. Approx 100k miles since rebuild and 35k since last fluid&filter change, atf is red , full, and doesnt have any burnt smell. I recently installed single shot injectors and a TS chip. All gears seem to shift hard. Im due for a trans fluid and filter change, but i dont think that is the problem. Any advice?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
My advice is to check for codes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only driveability related code i have is a low turbo boost code, P1247. I am running 35" tires, thats a good bit bigger than stock but also a very common size to run. Trans was a little rough shifting before the TS chip, but it has gotten worse since chip and new injectors. I have a trans temp gauge and it got up to 200 degrees going up a mountain pass with no load, very unusual for my trans temps to get that high. Im going to buy a mishimoto trans cooler and do a fluid/filter change and go from there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i found an issue. The previous owner installed an inline filter on the trans cooler lines. Ive had the truck for 80k miles so its atleast that old. I think thats why im getting high temps going up the grade.

·
scottu5
25 Posts
Hi Diablito,
Aside from your 'kick' issues, I have an inline filter as you describe (installed ourselves) and don't get those high temps even when pulling a big load uphill (in 80+ outside air temps) as long as I run my 'chip' in the stock position. If I run in higher chip settings, I get higher trans temps, so when towing, I always run in the stock setting (I usually run in stock 95% of the time anyway)...Just an FYI from my experience with my setup.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip. Ill try the stock setting next time I pull the grade. I ordered a mishimoto trans cooler, motorcraft merc 5 , new trans filter.
I may try changing shift points to correct for my 35" tires

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
Why would you change the shift points? The software already makes sure that the shift points are at the right speed regardless of tire size. All you need to do to correct for tire size is to correct the speedometer so that it reads correctly. The trans will take care of itself without any help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats good to know, thank you for spelling that out for me. Just got my mishi trans cooler in the mail, hope that and a filter change will make it shift smoother. I may try changing out my u joints and checking my driveshaft carrier to see if there is some slop i can tighten up

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
So the only code it sets is P1247? Low boost will cause some harsh shifts. The shift pressures are scheduled for an engine that is making correct power. If it is low on boost the engine isn't making enough power and the trans will have too much pressure for the torque that it is actually making.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder if thats the case. The power feels great with new injectors compared to how it was running before. I think i got most of my turbo leaks fixed, i still need to perform a smoke test tho. I have a manifold pressure gauge and if i stomp it i can get up to 20 psi, i wouldnt imagine id be able to make that much boost if i had any major leaks or lack of engine power. I bought a boost fooler with my injectors and havent installed it yet, i wonder if that'd make a difference?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts