Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i romped on it a little today and the tranny (at least thats where i think it came from) made a slight grinding noise. the first time i didn't think anything of it, then i turned a corner and romped on it again and it did it again, this time much more distinct. i don't really know how else to describe this nor can i describe it in any better detail without doing it again but i don't really want to try that.

any idea on what this means? the tranny is a factory re man with approx 40-50K miles

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It was almost a feeling as if it were falling out of gear.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
The grinding noise could be the flywheel chattering against the Torque Converter. Or, the Flywheel could be cracked and flexing when you turn causing the noise.

Pull your inspection plate (4 bolts, 3/8" socket) from under the truck and check all of your TC bolts (shallow 9/16" socket). If they are all tight, look at your flywheel with a flash light and see if you can see any cracks or anything.

Good Luck!

Report back.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The grinding noise could be the flywheel chattering against the Torque Converter. Or, the Flywheel could be cracked and flexing when you turn causing the noise.

Pull your inspection plate (4 bolts, 3/8" socket) from under the truck and check all of your TC bolts (shallow 9/16" socket). If they are all tight, look at your flywheel with a flash light and see if you can see any cracks or anything.

Good Luck!

Report back.
will do. i was thinking about dropping the pan and changing the fluid and filter to see if there is any metal in it.

It means you can upgrade.:D

Sorry, wish i could be of better help.... Hopefully it's nothing too terrible.

haha yeah i wish i could upgrade. but as always, money is an issue. if its anything major the truck will be parked for a while.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i pulled the inspection plate and everything seems to be okay in there. can't see any cracks in the flywheel and the bolts are all tight.

I haven't had a chance to pull the pan and check for metal yet though. I did drain a tiny bit of fluid out to see how it looked and it looks brand new. not burned at all. I drove the truck tonight and it felt fine this time. I drove it both in 100 Performance and in Stock and didn't have any problems in either. Im just going to leave it parked until i have a chance to get the pan dropped to see whats in it.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Your symptom is very general to be honest. It could be an aweful lot of different things that could make that noise. I am honestly not sure and would recommend you call either Brian at BTS or John Woods and see what they think it could be. A phone call is free and either one will help you out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I called BTS a week ago and he told me that it was too early to identify any problems especially since i couldn't give him much to work with. But anyways he told me to get out and drive it to see if i noticed anything abnormal about the way it sounds, shifts, etc.

I've put probably 500 miles on it this week and it hasn't done anything abnormal as far as i can tell. It hasn't made anymore grinding sounds. It shifts just fine. the fluid still looks great.

Not sure what my problem is, if any. Maybe just a fluke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts