Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I just rebuilt my 4r100 and within about a week of driving around the neighborhood, the front seal started puking out ATF. So, it would seem I have the old silicone seal in there and not the viton one, or, more likely, I screwed up the seal when I installed it. In any case, I want to make sure I have a viton seal in there. I don't want to do this again.

I have the seal from Napa, which is PN 19966. It's blue, and made by SKF. I went over and looked up the specs on SKF's website, and they say it's silicone, so that one's going back. I also have the Ford part E9TZ-7A248-B, and my parts guy can't tell me what that one is made of, but it's grey and I found this:


Which suggests my grey seal is silicone not viton

So, I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm fairly certain I boogered the seal up when I installed it, but I want to make sure I put a good seal back in.

Does anyone know for sure if that Ford part is silicone or viton?

Thanks for your help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it turns out it doesn't really matter. I took that seal over to a local transmission shop and they just traded my grey seal for a black one.

Now my only problem is, I can't see where my leak started. I assumed that I had damaged the seal when I put the TC in. I pulled the trans and removed the seal and I see no tear, no damage, no reason for the leak. This is frustrating; I hate getting this far, and having no proof yet.

I didn't put any sealant on the outside of the seal when I installed it. Maybe that's why it started leaking... I don't know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I just figured it out. When I put my oil pump on originally, I had a spacing problem inside the transmission, and the pump didn't seat properly. When I tried to install it, I stripped a bolt. I didn't worry about it, I cheated and just put in a slightly longer bolt, so I could get some torque on it, and gooped that one up with silicone when I got the pump on (and fixed my internal problem that is). Well, it turns out, the one bolt hole that I stripped is one that has oil pressure behind it from the pump, possibly the only one. I found this image online, and circled the one I stripped.

So, my laziness really bit me in the a$$ this time. It'll just take an 8mm x1.25 helicoil fix, and a few new gaskets, and I'll be off and running. While the pump is out, I've taken it over to a local trans shop to have that bushing replaced.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fixed my threads, had the oil pump rebuilt and installed a viton seal. Just took it out for a test drive and all is well. Case closed
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top