Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Ford Blue Oval Guy
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the big issue with the 4r100 when you put quite a bit of power behind them? Is it the valvebody in them setup not to have a lot of line pressure and causes these trannys to give out kinda qiuck?

This is what i have been told by some ppl in the past but wanted to clarify that.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
TC and clutches usually seem to give PDQ.

A BTS 4r100 will hold more hp than you can throw at it

·
Ford Blue Oval Guy
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there anything you could do to a stock tranny and make it hold a lil power like a 140hp chip?

Like upgrade the valvebody and converter?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
BTS VB And convertor. PI convertors are good as well.

An upgraded cooler to keep temps down helps too.

Heat will kill ANY transmission

·
Ford Blue Oval Guy
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know converters are high but how bad are they for a diesel?

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
$1300 or so for a good one.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Used stock trans and an expensive TC is a bad idea. Just get the VB and be done with it. When it breaks, the TC needs to be cut apart, cleaned, welded back and balanced. Cost me $400 the last time on a GM 700R4. Either that or risk the new trans.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
I have a PI Stallion, Sonnax/Tricumulator, and a 6.0 trans cooler and have made around 30 passes on it and over 50K miles. Trans still holding strong!

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
I just put a BTS VB in mine when I had a chip and my trans lasted a long time maybe 3 years before I had the money to put in a BTS full trans which is so worth the money. And yes the BTS will hold whatever you throw at it just call Brian and ask him because he will tell you the same thing.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong..but doesn't BTS warranty these thing for 2 year unlimited miles.. up to 700 HP, no matter what you do with your truck?? that in its self says how confidants he is about his work....
i would also like to add custom tuning from one of our sponsors is also a big help on making the Trans live longer....

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
In my opinion the factory 4r100 does not hold up well to above stock levels of power.
My transmition started hanging up shifting into overdrive and some times would not downshift out of over drive. My truck had 50K on it with a Banks Powerpack with Ottomind chip (40hp). I tow at or below 10K lbs. and stay below 65 MPH. My 550 has never been used to work, just as a normal pick up that occasionally tows.

When I was at BTS and talked with Brian about why it failed (after a very easy life) He found that some of the internal Hydraulic fittings had become loose and starved the 2nd,4th and overdrive clutch packs of oil.
His comments were that Ford had very sloppy tolerances in the various internal components and that they slapped around inside the case sending shock waves throughout the transmition. His rebuild contains a number of parts that tighten up internal tolerances.

Around the time I was there Ford came out with a heavy duty 4r100 that added clutch disks and tightened up some of the sloppy tolerances. Brian told me that with the 5r100s Ford had done even more to tighten up the internals.

In closing, my BTS is holding up well to the 350ish horsepower I am throwing at it.LOL

·
Registered
682 Posts
Used stock trans and an expensive TC is a bad idea. Just get the VB and be done with it. When it breaks, the TC needs to be cut apart, cleaned, welded back and balanced. Cost me $400 the last time on a GM 700R4. Either that or risk the new trans.

Thats what I was told when I was at BTS for tuning. Brians advice was to run it with his vb, a 6.0 cooler, factory converter, and regular non synthetic fluid.

Synthetic fluid is to slick and will cause the stock converter with less clutch surface area to slip.

However, if you want to get the pi converter, they will give you a credit towards the new trans when you torque your internals into scrap metal.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thats what I was told when I was at BTS for tuning. Brians advice was to run it with his vb, a 6.0 cooler, factory converter, and regular non synthetic fluid.

Synthetic fluid is to slick and will cause the stock converter with less clutch surface area to slip.

However, if you want to get the pi converter, they will give you a credit towards the new trans when you torque your internals into scrap metal.
IMO, it is like mating a young stud with Grandma. LOL

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong..but doesn't BTS warranty these thing for 2 year unlimited miles.. up to 700 HP, no matter what you do with your truck?? that in its self says how confidants he is about his work....
i would also like to add custom tuning from one of our sponsors is also a big help on making the Trans live longer....
Has nothing to do with HP. Just 2 yrs unlimited mileage.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Has nothing to do with HP. Just 2 yrs unlimited mileage.
From what I have seen, 2 yrs is only for shipping. People have had their trans rebuilt after 2 yrs and paid for shipping only. That was why I bought a BTS. I knew I would break it after a couple of years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts