Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im really debatin on sellin my 97 psd and buildin a truck... so heres what i want to do, sd single cad long box with a 466 motor. ive seen a couple. anbody have any pics of this done? and also through a buddy of mine(who has built one) all you gotta do is a 3 inch body lift and it fits in???? id like to hear other people info
thanks trav

·
torque junkie
82 Posts
There's a lot more to it than just a body lift. You have to cut in a doghouse to fit the back of the head. When I was doing mine(didnt finish), I measured 14" wide, and 6" deep, going into the firewall. That's starting from the lip of the cowl, where the hood shuts.
This was to keep the radiator and intercooler up front, not in the bed.
Then, the floorboards may need a massage, depending on trans. From my research, a Super Duty has the most room under the hood, but not by much.
What are you going to do with a 466 that a 360 cant do? Or even a Ford 6.6(401)?

·
Registered
327 Posts
personally unless your building a full out sled truck, its way over kill. i thought about it before i did my cummins swap 4 or 5 years ago, but power to weight was just better by staying with a pick up truck series engine. and nothing has to be done to the firewall. I would just take the money and your current engine and build it to make the power you want. I know its not as different as you were wanting to probably be for a street rig but just makes more sense all around. Plus if you even wanted to sled pull it you would have to run a mod class with the dt466

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
nevrenufhp- Do you think a Ford 6.6 would fit into an OBS or SD without firewall mods?

·
torque junkie
82 Posts
nevrenufhp- Do you think a Ford 6.6 would fit into an OBS or SD without firewall mods?
It will still need a firewall, similar to a 466. They are nearly as long as a 466, which is too bad. It could be a cool swap if it fit in a pickup better. The main benefit to the 6.6 is that it's not as tall as a 466, and you get the cool 'Ford' logo on the intake & valve cover. Mine even came with a P-pump. Bad time of year to need to sell it though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts