Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 93 F250 with a 460 and dual tanks and 160K. I have an issue between my dual tanks. Its a little hard to explain, so please bare with me.

The truck doesnt idle great. It smokes, and I have a feeling that it has something to do with this issue, because when I am on the front tank, it idles fairly well actually, sometimes it will hiccup a little bit, but when I switch to the rear tank, it gets much much worse. But then I can switch back to the front tank, and it will get better again. On the other hand, when I am using the front tank, the truck doesnt accelerate as well, hangs on to shifts, and seems like it needs more throttle and more RPMs then the rear tank does. It drives great on the rear tank but idles really bad, and idles great on the front tank, but drives poorly.

I havent done anything yet, as I have only had it a couple weeks, and dont know anything about what the guy before me did to it, but would like to get some advice on where to start looking.

·
Joined cracked block club
289 Posts
First thing I would do is check fuel pressure. I would also start with a basic tune-up ( plugs ( NGK V-Power, Motorcraft or Autolite ), wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, check timing ). After the tune-up is done & if fuel pressure is the same on both tanks then one would have to dig deeper. My guess is you have a weak front pump, a plugged fuel filter & possibly worn out plugs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
First thing I would do is check fuel pressure. I would also start with a basic tune-up ( plugs ( NGK V-Power, Motorcraft or Autolite ), wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, check timing ). After the tune-up is done & if fuel pressure is the same on both tanks then one would have to dig deeper. My guess is you have a weak front pump, a plugged fuel filter & possibly worn out plugs.
All very good advice. I would only add the PCV valve as I have seen a plugged one mess up almost everything on your list.

Pap

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Fuel pump eventually just crapped out on me and so i replaced the front one. I had weak pressure on both.

I am gonna check the PCV valve, because that would be great to make sure that it isnt plugged up. Its not so far fetched that its never been touched.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts