Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so for the last 10 k, I have been putting 15w-40 in my 96 F-250 i'm currently at 200k on the odo. but I recently noticed that she started burning oil. i'm getting ready for an oil change but my question is should i change back to like a 10w-40, or a straight 30 weight, or just keep burning 15w-40, I know diesel oil and gasser oil are different but the 15w-40 was added in their and seemed to help her run a little bit cooler, but for all I know I'm missing out on proper oil additives internally right now. and as far as the oil burning goes, well she's an older pick-up so at this point my plan is to keep adding. and thoughts suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Let me take a guess. The 15w-40 you are using is Rotella?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
naw man, thanks for replying, i'm a sworn all chevron products guy, so delo it is for me
Ok. Rotella in know to get eaten by engines. Try another brand oil. If anything the 15w-40 would get consumed slower than 10-30

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally agree in regards to the weight of the oil, the heavier weight in my mind would promote lubricity without excessive burn-off If I went down to a 10w-40, or a 10w-30 I might enhance the oil burning issue. sooo... I'll prob stick with 15w-40, I'm devout to Delo but perhaps maybe this one time I'll try some Valvo premo Blue just as an experiment see if I still burn oil.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Delo is actually an SM and SL rated motor oil so you aren't missing out on any gas additives for your 460. How much oil are you burning? I mean with 200k on the clock you got to expect some...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts