Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Cummins Power
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some time with Jody today. Most of you know the problems I've been having with my truck popping trying to free rev on the line and pulling down the track. Today Jody got the chance to experience it first hand. It would pop and buck so hard it would set a SES lamp for the cam sensor at 3600. Well after a lot of time he figured it out. When the tach went to 4500 on the street we both were like, did that just happen. It got even better. With a lot more pw than anyone said was possible we made another pass on the back country road and I wussed out at 4200 and lifted.

The new equipment Jody has is sweet. He logged the runs as we went and changed the tuning without removing the chip. He said we never would have found it without live tuning.

After the three hour trip to Dillsburg and four hours of tuning I went another hour south and hooked to the sled at McConnellsburg. On the line it free reved to 4k with no issues at all. The track was pretty tight, at least three in hot diesel busted drive line parts. It pulled 34-3500 down the track with not even a hit of a pop. Corey said it was cleaning up the fuel to a grey haze. With the amount of fuel I have the 34-35 is probably all I'll get on a tight track. I hooked 10th out of 20 trucks and held first till the last two trucks. Mat Cooper in a DMax took first and a Dodge that hooked first, dropped and came back last beat me. The turn out and amount of good competition surprised me to say the least. I was a very good pull.

Jody I'm sure you can tell I'm happy.

Thank You!

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts
you can feel the excitement in your post Kevin.. nothing like live tuning and Jody is good at that..congrats on the fix and the pull..

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Good to hear.

·
<<HowdoIgetridofthat
1,421 Posts
Awesome man, I'm sure you must be relieved to have it come together.

:rockwoot:

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
Good to hear you got it worked out. Now you can get out there and kick some ass with a Ferd.

With a lot more pw than anyone said was possible we made another pass on the back country road and I wussed out at 4200 and lifted.
This is priceless though. Thanks for a good laugh first thing Sat morning.

:D

·
green member
297 Posts

LOL....maybe his great "new equipment" has an O-scope built in to see ACTUAL pw. :lookaround:

·
green member
297 Posts
OOps...forgot the congrats on the pull!!!

I'd love to see more high revving PSD's!

·
Cummins Power
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to hear you got it worked out. Now you can get out there and kick some ass with a Ferd.

Thanks guys! I can't believe the cops never showed up. We only had about a half mile piece of road to work with. Second gear was worthless, it spooled to quick. Third gear from a rolling start to 4k+ and back to a stop happens pretty quick. LOL Yes I lifted.

·
Cummins Power
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No video. My son always videoed for me but he's old enough now to have other things to do.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
I can walk outside right now and pin my tach using nothing but my DAC3 PCM. But that doesn't mean it's making any power. People were turning smooth 5000rpm over 4 years ago. Free reving to 5k isn't an issue for our fueling. Making power there is.

Regardless of all that stuff. I'm just glad you got the damn thing to stop trying to break itself popping and bucking.

And I look forward to seeing and hearing of you kicking some ass. Glad Jody could help you out with that.

:ford:

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
To molest one of my favorite quotes from Tombstone.... "Why Charles, whatever do you mean?".....LOL

Kevin, where is your smoke clearing rpm-wise? Cool you got the popping taken care of.....

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Kevin
Glad you got it worked out and thanks for not giving up on the ol girl:bowfast:

Now back to bidness and horshpower calculashions.
according to the new SH formula as developed late last Saturday night
you wuz only turning 3285 instead of 4500, so your right there with the rest of us.

.73 baby

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
.73 is The conversion factor.

:redspotdance:

·
Cummins Power
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To molest one of my favorite quotes from Tombstone.... "Why Charles, whatever do you mean?".....LOL

Kevin, where is your smoke clearing rpm-wise? Cool you got the popping taken care of.....
On the street it was still rolling the smoke pretty well to the point I lifted. Hooked to the sled it was a grey haze at 34-3500. Before the pw would drop clear to zero in the 3600 range. At 4200 (when I wussed out) on the data log the pw was, I'll say significantly oven 2ms. If these injectors were stroked the stock bottom would never hold it.

Thanks David.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
On the street it was still rolling the smoke pretty well to the point I lifted. Hooked to the sled it was a grey haze at 34-3500. Before the pw would drop clear to zero in the 3600 range. At 4200 (when I wussed out) on the data log the pw was, I'll say significantly oven 2ms. If these injectors were stroked the stock bottom would never hold it.

Thanks David.
yeah you can definitely get more than that you can see the trend here to 4200 rpms but here is the limits that the IDM will accept before it pops and sputters.
4.8ms @ 2500 RPMs
4.0ms @ 3000 RPMs
3.43ms @ 3500 RPMs
3.0ms @ 4000 RPMs

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
If these injectors were stroked the stock bottom would never hold it.

There's a white ex cab that might beg to differ.

:pointlaugh:

350 or so cc's. That truck's actually doing what you're talking about. When the issues with the shift were occuring it was snapping up around 4700rpm under load before the tranny could hit 3rd gear. Not quite the same as eaaaaasing up on it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts