Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dont know what I want
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok can anyone help me with this. Ive been told there are a worlds difference between a 429 lima and a regular 429 out of a pick up. If any of yall know anything feel free to tell. The lima comes in f600 and up work trucks. Ive been told they have different heads etc. Is that right?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Ok can anyone help me with this. Ive been told there are a worlds difference between a 429 lima and a regular 429 out of a pick up. If any of yall know anything feel free to tell. The lima comes in f600 and up work trucks. Ive been told they have different heads etc. Is that right?
Well a 429 never came in a pickup so yeah there is a huge difference.

As for a 429 in a medium duty truck, depending on the year they were different. The later years were fuel injected just like the 460 pickup and have different heads than carb heads

·
Dont know what I want
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok how is it different if you have a 80-85 ton with a 460 and a 80-90 f600 429 lima both are carb. Other than the crank and stroke.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Ok how is it different if you have a 80-85 ton with a 460 and a 80-90 f600 429 lima both are carb. Other than the crank and stroke.
You said 429 NOT 460. And the 460 was Also not offered in a pickup between 1980--82. The 460 was NEVER offered in a medium duty truck

The crank in a Medium duty truck has a longer snout for the different accessories.

Also i am not sure what year the medium duty 429s went to EFI

·
Dont know what I want
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know up to 94 the 429 lima was carb. I know that's why I asked 460 this time. Can we get over the small #### you keep bringing up. I don't give a #### about what years had them. What are you exactly calling medium duty? f350? Ive had a few f350s with stock 460s.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Never herd of a lima lol but im sure there is some , but from my experience they made a 370 in big trucks that was the same block pretty much as a 429-460, they had an 8 quart oil pan witch is nice to run up on if your building a 385 series block, for a truck . and most likely the differences would be in the combustion chamber , i would only want c8ve (68) c9ve (69) or d0ve (70)heads if your wanting any performance bolt on head. Or pi , cj heads if you dont mind more cost . Just curious why your asking ?

·
Dont know what I want
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Limas came in f600-f800s they are the same blocks a 370 and 429. 385 series. Im not to sure about the 370 but I know the 429 is a 385. I have a old f600 that the 370 over heated and a guy showed me a roll over with a 429 lima in it and wanted some real info. Like are the heads different are internals better just misc stuff. The gas big trucks dont have the cut in the fire wall with the hard plastic pop out piece like the diesels do since the inline six needs more room.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Lima means nothing. It was just the plant there were made in, like all 385 series engines(370,429,460) Just like the 351 windsor, was made in the Windsor plant. And the 351 cleveland was made in cleveland

I actually know a guy who was quality control in the lima plant.

As for better heads, you need casting numbers to even say what they are before you can say they are better or not.

You can take any old 460 and throw your 370 crank in it to make a 429. Then you will still have the long snout crank for the truck acessories

Amedium duty was a F600-800. Anything less is a pickup.

Also, the Big F-series(medium duty) does have a dog house, gas or diesel

·
Dont know what I want
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so lima just a name. Thanks didnt know that thought they would have some stuff different to make more torque. The 600 I have is an old asplahand truck, but another guy had it before me so he probably changed the cab since it doesnt have the dog house. Which would make since those trucks are always orange a few white and some orange and black, but it makes sense cause the cab got scratched when I removed the headache rack and there was no orange paint and the box and everything else had a cheap paint job sprayed over the orange.

If you can take a 370 crank put it in a 460 and make a 429. Whats the difference between a 429 and 370?

·
Registered
385 Posts
just the bore , the 429 and 460 are the same bore , stronger rods are any truck rods with the footbal style rod bolts , I would think that motor would have that style . And next up would be the cj rods

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Ok, so lima just a name. Thanks didnt know that thought they would have some stuff different to make more torque. The 600 I have is an old asplahand truck, but another guy had it before me so he probably changed the cab since it doesnt have the dog house. Which would make since those trucks are always orange a few white and some orange and black, but it makes sense cause the cab got scratched when I removed the headache rack and there was no orange paint and the box and everything else had a cheap paint job sprayed over the orange.

If you can take a 370 crank put it in a 460 and make a 429. Whats the difference between a 429 and 370?
The bore is the difference. And the 370 is a guttless pig

·
Dont know what I want
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thanks, So if I hold on to the old 370 block I can have it bored to a 429/460 later?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Ok thanks, So if I hold on to the old 370 block I can have it bored to a 429/460 later?
In theory, yes. to a 460. There was some reason they never put a 460 in a Medium duty truck though, just dont know why

·
Dont know what I want
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Must have been a good reason. But the world may never know. Just like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

·
Joined cracked block club
289 Posts
OK here is what I know. I'm a mechanic for the Minot Park District & at work we have 2 1990 F-600's & a 1993 F-700. The '90 F-600 have carbed 370's, the '93 F-700 has an EFI 429. All three run on propane ( they are retired Schwan's trucks ) & none of them have removeable dog houses. A 370 block can not be bored out to a 429 / 460 bore, their is not enough cylinder wall thickness to allow this. As far as differences between a pickup 460 vs. a med. duty 429 I couldn't tell you what they are.

·
Dont know what I want
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it true propane burns cleaner than gas or diesel? Then my cab is orig they just sanded it all the way down. Could the 370 ever amount to anything? Any parts interchange?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
yes, propane burns VERY clean. That is why you see propane forklifts IN buildings.

370 is a small enginbe for a big truck. It would be like having a chevy 350 in a big truck

·
Dont know what I want
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im just wandering about the 370 the f600 it was in is pretty rough and will probably be a donor. But could I make anything out of the 370 and put it in a pick up and have a stout motor?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Im just wandering about the 370 the f600 it was in is pretty rough and will probably be a donor. But could I make anything out of the 370 and put it in a pick up and have a stout motor?
You cant use the 370 crank in anything other than a Medium duty truck(larger than a F550)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts