Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to take my truck to next (and probable final) level. So my goals are:

- 400 Hp (at the crank)
- Manageable EGT's (1200-1400 F Tops under WOT/Load)
- Low to no smoke
- Towing / Reliable

Here is what is done so far:

- 1.0 A/R Housing
- 3"/4" Turbo Back MRBP exhuast
- Tymar DIY Intake
- Custom Electric Fuel System
- SD Intercooler Retro Fit
- Guages (EGT & Boost) - Manual Trans....

Here is what is on the "to do" list:

- DP tuner
- Stage 1 or 2 sticks (Depending on hp levels)
- 17 Degree HPOP
- Upgraded clutch when this one goes....

Here is a possibility:

- Irate Diesel Pedestal Kit w/ wastegate (Sent Jake an E-mail)

Now do you think this combo is realistic? Do you think my expectations are realistic? Before I left Holset (I was engineering all the race applications and performance turbos) I put together a nice custom 71/76/16cm HX55/52 hybrid turbo for a 6BTA - 12 valve that never came to fruition. It has been staring at me from the garage shelf... Should I do the IRATE kit with this turbo? Or this this just plain overkill for what I want to do? I suppose 238/200 sticks would be in order then.... Not planning on racing, just want comparable towing power/performance to today's modern 1 tons. Thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Cory

·
Registered
217 Posts
If i was just towing this is what I would do
-d66
-stage 1 sticks
-intercooler
-water/meth
-switch to 3" plenums
-t500 hpop

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
400 at the crank, thats easy, now if you had said 400 at the wheels, that would have been a whole nother game there, LOL. I would think its very easy.

Dan

·
Registered
182 Posts
An injector upgrade with tuning will get you there. No turbo needed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I put together a nice custom 71/76/16cm HX55/52 hybrid turbo for a 6BTA - 12 valve
Let me PM you my address, I'll let ya know how it works! LOL

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I had put a couple of this same charger on a couple of hot Dodges about 6 years back. They make about 775 HP on fuel alone. Had one guy replace his twins with this charger and from 0-35 PSI they were as quick as the twins. As I was told, from 35-75 PSI when the head gasket let loose took only about 2 seconds.....I warned him with his fueling he needed a wastegate but he could't wait for the 'gate to come in...lol. He order another.....

Cory

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the next question is Stage I or II's?

Cory

·
Registered
744 Posts
I say stage 1s for towing, lot better power along with safer egts! A good tow rig for me is 300hp at the ground ones will get you there. D66 would be a great combo with the 1s

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know the d66 is a drop in buy why not get a pedistal from a SD, they up grade to H2 styles all the time, and run a 38r? You get the 1.0 housing from the factory and the ball bearings in the housing make it VERY responsive.

·
Registered
744 Posts
What's the pint in running a 38r? Is it really worth swapping all the stuff? If your gonna go that far why not a t4? Why drop all the cash to swap in a 38r when you can run a d66 and save money?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you keep the stock turbo, go back to the 1.15 housing. I would go with a smaller set of hybrids and d66, you will have a much better power band and with the right tuning cooler egt's.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
d66 with 1.15 and stg 2s with ic. Methanol injection really helps on the big hills as well.

Reactions: Onirot69

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think I am going to order up the Stage 1's and make my existing TP38 a D66. I can do the work and track down the parts. I already have a 1.0 A/R and like the response for down low to get the loads moving. If I was going to make this truck a 450 + RWHP machine, then I would add my 71mm turbo and use the IRATE pedistal mount along with hybrid sticks. I already have the IC and everything else to support this power level and keep EGT's in check. If I want to pick a fight with a street car, I'll bring my crotch rockets! lol

Cory

·
Registered
344 Posts
PM user tjl. He''s running stage ones, D66 turbo. 15* hpop mech. fuel and had PHP do live tuning. made 396 hp. Just a haze of smoke. To go over 400 would take a 17* hpop and elec. fuel. but very doable with stage one sticks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well with my electric fuel and replacement 17 HPOP that should put me right where I want.

Cory

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I regularly tow @ 16K combined. Its fine temp-wise (but slower) on the DD tune, but an extended hill on tow will require me to regulate 1200F with my foot. Definitely need a little more air -- I'll wait until the stocker starts talking back...

Although, I can't use what I have right now if I want to stay under most speed limits.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mandkole, that sounds about right to me. It sounds more and more like my needs are with the Stage 1's and possibily upgrading my comp wheel/housing/diffuser to the D66 specs.

Cory

·
Registered
270 Posts
I say go for the stage 2s. Bigger nozzles should get a little bit cooler EGTs with the right tuning. I have stage 1s and wishin I had some bigger nozzles now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I think I may try and sell or trade that new turbo for a set of "like new" injectors. Maybe a more performance minded person will use it.... lol

Cory

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts