Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 7.3 Automatic: 175K. Just got it a couple of months ago; been sitting for 3 years. Ran rough, bad IDM. Before replacing IDM: put it in 4 x 4 mode & drove it many times across my farm in 1st @ high RPM. Never had it on the road & never above 25 MPH.

After replacing IDM: runs smoothly, but 4 X 4 will not engage. Did a search, but could not find anything. Is there a fuse somehow connected to the 4 X 4?

Thanks

·
STILL LEARNING
18,329 Posts
Are you saying it has an electric transfer case? never seen or heard of one in anything other than a 1/2 ton

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
My 97 had auto lock hubs. Is that what yours has. You couldnt turn them to engage them you just shifted in in the cab then were good to go.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Have you tried 4-low?

Were you at a full stop when you switched to 4-high?

If you have an assistant, see if the front driveshaft, or either axle shaft, turns when you move it down the road with the truck in 4-high.

And yeah, two details that should always be specified when opening any 4x4 related thread - * electric or manual 4x4?, and * OEM centrifugal auto lock hubs or manuals?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried 4-low?

Were you at a full stop when you switched to 4-high?

If you have an assistant, see if the front driveshaft, or either axle shaft, turns when you move it down the road with the truck in 4-high.

And yeah, two details that should always be specified when opening any 4x4 related thread - * electric or manual 4x4?, and * OEM centrifugal auto lock hubs or manuals?
Full Stop; in neutral; shift lever in the floor; and I cannot swear that the 4 x 4 was working initially; it felt as if it were in the 4 x 4. I am new to 4 x 4's; so that is an excellent point; I will mark the shaft w/paint to see if there is any rotation.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
i'm betting auto hubs and that's the problem, one or both are froze up. also how are you determining that you do or don't have 4x4?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm betting auto hubs and that's the problem, one or both are froze up. also how are you determining that you do or don't have 4x4?
Been real busy have not be able to reply: thanks for the responses. Not being sarcastic: I was moving the truck the other day in muddy conditions & the rear wheels were spinning & the front were stationary. This is a farm truck & probably will never see the road & all tires are near bald; but as I tried to move I only felt the rear spinning.

Auto hubs: is there a way to unfreeze these?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
no problem, some people mis diagnose right from the beginning. yeah you can work on them some do a search for them, biggest thing is that they take almost no grease when going back together b/c they will bind with too much grease. Most guys just go to manual hubs, especially as a dedicated farm truck

·
STILL LEARNING
18,329 Posts
Been real busy have not be able to reply: thanks for the responses. Not being sarcastic: I was moving the truck the other day in muddy conditions & the rear wheels were spinning & the front were stationary. This is a farm truck & probably will never see the road & all tires are near bald; but as I tried to move I only felt the rear spinning.

Auto hubs: is there a way to unfreeze these?
Just go to a Junk yard and get a used set of manual hubs. Just make sure you get the wheel bearing lock nuts too, they are differnt than auto hub ones

1 - 9 of 9 Posts