Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
'03 F250SD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site, and to upgrading these. Been stuck using stock 7.3L and 6.0L's at work for years, finally got my own '03 250. Question is if the 5" exhausts are any benefit over 4" for most trucks? I don't plan on racing, sledpulling etc, probably never more than 200HP over stock even down the road. Mine was a repo and the previous exhaust stacks are mysteriously gone.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
4" will give you all the flow you need, 5" is mainly for looks and sound. If you want it loud though, go with 5". Let me know if theres anything I can help with.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Only real difference that I know of will be sound. I would think the EGT's will be slightly lower with 5" but there are too many variables to actually compare this.

MBRP Aluminized or stainless 4" will probably be the best bang for your buck other than simply straight piping the factory exhaust (if any is left in your case)

·
'03 F250SD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah mine stops at the back of the cab where it went up into the bed, so I'm gonna just get a full turbo back system. Around $100 bucks or so diff between sizes, and I'm really debating whether a worthwhile drop in EGT is possible? (cats gonna go too.)

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
I have a bullydog 4" from the turbo back and it empties into a 6" tip. Ive had is straight piped for about a year or so and LOVE it!! sounds mean as hell!

·
Registered
184 Posts
ive got 5" with a 4" dp.... sounds really deep and not obnoxiously loud either.. no real diffrence in performance between 4' and 5' other than looks and sound.... the sound of a 5" imo is defin better than 4".. thats just my $0.02...

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
4" will work fine, and I considered it as well but liked the look and sound of the 5". just wish I would have went with a 6" tip.

·
'03 F250SD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the small price diff I think the 5" is what I'll get. How long do the Aluminized last? I'm guessing the aftermarket doesn't use as corrosion or heat resistant piping as O.E.

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
I've had mine come 2yrs this Christmas. No rust problems yet.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
sounds like your gonna enjoy the new sound of the truck :ford:

make sure ya get a cat delete pipe or get rid of it, its the biggest change in sound. The system I got came with the delete and adapters to keep the cat, for the first 5,000miles or so I ran the full turbo back system but with the cat and it was a little louder and sounded different but not too much, then when I removed the cat it was completely night and day difference.

5" has a nice deep sound to it, I am happy with mine

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Go with the 5" it sounds bad a$$!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts