Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 4" turbo back system from summit yesterday. I have been looking around for a while and waited till the last minute as always. Summit has super fast shipping have got there kits before and was pleased with the quality. I have done all the steps to open up the old 7.3 Gauges, DYI intake now exhaust. people say you need to do these things before you put a tuner in the truck. I am trying to decide between beans and PHP.

How much did the 4" kit help your truck did you feel it in the butt dyno? I have an old dialabo programmer that I use the 40hp tow tune. I am going camping next week should be a about 600mi round trip and I can see if my mileage has improved from the last outing. My truck gross is 14,000 trailer and all the crap bikes cooler full of beer and the kitchen sink. I have not been to impressed with how this truck pulls and am hopping this will help out. I am hoping the straight through muffler is not to loud or drone. I know the chip will most likely be the biggest power gains but I had to do the preliminary mods first.

Thanks

·
riverjet
459 Posts
When I put mine on nine years ago I was running a HYPERTECH programmer. It made my truck feel slower(loss of bottom end response).After adding more fuel it worked fine. I used a 4 inch downpipe,so I think that resulted in a loss of response with the low fueling of the HYPERTECH. I run DP but I am really looking at Beans.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
It will sound deeper, and should lower egts, as for power.
Well that is what the chip is for.

There is some folks that say for a less modded truck a 3.5 dp is better for torque, but 4" is the most common. So you should be good. Just don't tighten clamps till your all adjusted.

As for tunes I like bean but php is awsome as well. Good choices.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still have the stock exhaust now with the stock muffler on too. Some people said just do the muffler delete but I was having a hard time finding anyone local to bend 3.5" pipe. I live in Michigan so everything gets pretty rusted from the salt so its getting close to its death anyway.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
I still have the stock exhaust now with the stock muffler on too. Some people said just do the muffler delete but I was having a hard time finding anyone local to bend 3.5" pipe. I live in Michigan so everything gets pretty rusted from the salt so its getting close to its death anyway.
where in michigan?

·
Braaaaaaaaaaaap
270 Posts
The summit 4" is a decent kit, not the best nor the worst. For Mi I would have sprung for a bling exhaust that would resist corrosion better.

I've helped do a couple of those, the kit fits up pretty well and shouldn't be a major PITA like their 5" kit I have.

Stock muffler to a straight through/bigger complete system will be a night and day diff on the butt dyno. What you will feel is faster spoolup, it's maybe a couple hp gain. Like others said, it's a supporting mod for adding more power. Install a good tuner next :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well picked truck up from exhaust shop today only drove it home. The turbo spools alot faster just get into it a little and the boost comes right up. egts seem to be lower. I am hooking up to the camper tomorrow and making a 300 mile run so we will see what mileage I get towing and see how the power is. Also with the windows down you can here the turbo whistle from the exhaust and under the hood now....:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
im gonna order a kit from summit also, found a local shop to hook it up for $100 also, im in MI also in Carleton. i had a 99 with a 4" and it sounds nice with the wistle sound. this one is a 2000 with 67000 miles on it so im gonna be breaking it in with exhaust i also have a bullydog flipchip, and im gonna do the intake also. would like to know how hard it is to hook up gauges and where isa good place to get them.

thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im gonna order a kit from summit also, found a local shop to hook it up for $100 also, im in MI also in Carleton. i had a 99 with a 4" and it sounds nice with the wistle sound. this one is a 2000 with 67000 miles on it so im gonna be breaking it in with exhaust i also have a bullydog flipchip, and im gonna do the intake also. would like to know how hard it is to hook up gauges and where isa good place to get them.

thanks
Well I am partial to diesel manor for the gauges they have a awesome kit. You can find them cheaper but the kit is well thought out great instructions and everything you need is there wire clips fuse holders etc.

I towed my trailer to Indiana yesterday and the 4" woke the truck up egts are about 150 cooler. Now I just need to make up my mind about the tuner.

My concern now is weather or not I am going to be happy with just the tuner and if I am going to take this farther injectors,turbo etc. Because if I go with indectors from beans I would like to use there chip. PHP seems to do good work too and a better price than bean on the phoenix. So we will see.

Mileage seems to be better I only used a 1/2 tank for 160miles I will check it when we leave the campground.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
If you keep your foot out of it you will usually pick up another 2+ mpg with a chip.

·
Registered
692 Posts
My truck never lost any lowend with the 4" back, infact it gained. Now for mileage, it gained a little in the city, maybe .5 on the highway if anything, most likey nothing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
im gonna order the summit kit also but im gonna get the stainless steel one, whats a good air intake? as far as the gauges are they difficult to install?

thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
ordered exhaust the 29th of june, delivered today 30th , from summit, great shipping!:ford:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts