Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm going to be running an SCT X3 with Extreme Race from Eric at Innovative with stock head bolts. And I'm looking at getting a 4" or 5" exhaust from MBRP. I have been told that you need to watch your EGTs when youre running stock head bolts. So will the 5" exhaust result in lower EGTs? Because I'm trying to be as safe as I can with these ttunes and stock head bolts! Will it help me at all? Any thoughts/ideas/comments are appreciated:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am running 4 inch with stock bolts and erics x race it not too bad.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are your EGTs like?

·
Everybody poops <~ see?
615 Posts
Define 'not too bad', please.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
772 Posts
over 1250 for an extended period of time would be bad such as towing. short periods like 1/4 mile or pulls it doesnt really matter but the key is not to keep itt there for more than a few seconds. mine gets up there fast with 190s and a stock turbo but unloaded highway driving it sits at 750 at 75 mph. I could get over 1600 with just an sct by Eric on a hard run.

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
4" should be find, but talking with Eric will get you set up. I'm still waiting to get my SCT but there is a formula in an article in Diesel Power Magazine for figuring the right size you need.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
4 inch is fine.

5 is just for looks and sound. There is NO performance gains/losses going from 4 to 5

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
as said 4" is suffiecient and will give you all the gains you are looking for.

I have a 5" magnaflow with 4" downpipe and my cruising EGT's are right on par with everyone else. My Max EGT's seem to be a lot cooler, but I believe this is due to a top end fueling problem with my truck most likely, either injectors or HPOP related. I am still attempting to track it down but not really worried about it as the truck runs fine. Most I can see from mashing it and holding it wide open from 0-90mph is 1300°

I do like the sound from my 5" though :evil

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm probably going to be running an exhaust with a stock cat to remain legal. Is there any advantages to running a cat delete over a stock cat as far as EGTs, sound, and power?

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And by the way, I meant MBRP exhaust. So stock cat or cat delete?

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
I'm probably going to be running an exhaust with a stock cat to remain legal. Is there any advantages to running a cat delete over a stock cat as far as EGTs, sound, and power?
go with a cat delete, your truck will sounds better and it will be free'er flowing without it installed. You can always throw the cat back on if you have to do an inspection.

·
< YOU WISH...
775 Posts
No point in even changing the exhaust if your going to run the cat. That is the most restrictive part of the stock system.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
No point in even changing the exhaust if your going to run the cat. That is the most restrictive part of the stock system.
:whs:

I installed my 5" kit and kept my cat for the first few thousand miles and then finally got around to taking it off. It is night and day with the cat on or off, honestly I wouldn't even spend the money on an exhaust kit if the cat isn't going to be removed. It made a bit of a change in sound with the whole exhaust and the cat still on but not nearly anything enough to matter.

With my kit I can swap the cat in or out in about 30 minutes, so mine sits in the garage waiting to go back on in february when I need to go in for inspection.

EDIT: Plus I dunno but I would think running a high power tune with lots of soot might cause an early demise to the stock cat with all the added smoke and temps that a tuned truck can produce.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Inspection?

·
Registered
772 Posts
it wont take more than 30 minutes to swap the cat in for inspections. sounds alot better and flows better without one...

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is inspection? I don't think I've ever had one!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts