Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this forum because I found pictures of Tanks's 250 on google, that thing is beautiful, the 4.5 inch lift with 41 iroks, man o man. I have an 06 superduty with a 5.4l v8. Im tryin to lift it when i get home from this deployment. Im currently running only a 2.5 inch daystar coil spring spacers and 35x12.5 BFG KM2's. I want to put a 4 inch lift on it and run 37's. If i have to ill do a 6 inch lift, but would prefer the look of 37's on a 4 inch lift. will this work without extensive body work?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
its an FX4. Ive put true dual exhaust on it, and an SCT SF3 tuner, i need to junk the canned tunes and have someone write some. I have 4 KC rally 800 130w off road lights, recon cab lights, and a Tiregate.com vertical tire gate. All i need is to lift it. I just cant decide 4 or 6 inch lift and to stick with the 35's or go 37's. Im already only gettin like 9 mpg, so i cant kill it much more than that. although im hopin that the added hp from a tune with raise my mpg.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Unless you want to do some triming, i would suggest the 6" lift.

Here is a friend of mines 04 w 8" and 38"s. They rubbed, we ended up doing a SKY front shackle kit and taller rear blocks to clear them netting about 10" of lift
000_0498.JPG

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
I joined this forum because I found pictures of Tanks's 250 on google, that thing is beautiful, the 4.5 inch lift with 41 iroks, man o man. I have an 06 superduty with a 5.4l v8. Im tryin to lift it when i get home from this deployment. Im currently running only a 2.5 inch daystar coil spring spacers and 35x12.5 BFG KM2's. I want to put a 4 inch lift on it and run 37's. If i have to ill do a 6 inch lift, but would prefer the look of 37's on a 4 inch lift. will this work without extensive body work?
I'm glad you joined up here....

Everything you are asking depends on the tire you choose(some run wider than others), and the wheel offset you want.

4" with 37's is really stretching it...it you offroad at all...you are definitely gonna tear up your fenders.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like my BFG KM2'S, id probably stick with them if i went 37, ill probably just stick with my 35's and a 4 inch lift then. and as far as regearing, i like my stock 410's, they are nice and torquey

·
BrokeAss
841 Posts
35's and 4.56's would be better suited for all around driving and give better power and mileage. Regear is not cheap though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
these are the specs on my wheels

Part # 179170
Size 17x9.0
Appx. Weight 30lbs
Bolt Circle 8x170
Back Spacing 5
Offset (mm) 0mm
Load Capacity 3,200

·
BrokeAss
841 Posts
4.30 over 4.10 wouldn't net much difference. 4.56 is the general standard for 35's
Rough estimate is a grand an axle done at a shop, doing it yourself is risky business.
Would be cheaper if you do just gears, but if you are in there why not get some lockers.
If you are happy with your 35's and stock 4.10's as it is now then leave it be. The lift may cause some more drop in mpg though due to weight and wind resistance.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
35's and 4.56's would be better suited for all around driving and give better power and mileage. Regear is not cheap though.
and why 4.56 over 4.30. wouldnt 4.30 be plenty for 35's?

I agree...I'm running 4.56's and 41's....but I have a manual tranny.

4.30 is plenty for 36'sand 37's
4.56's are good for 37's to 40's
any bigger and you need to start figuring in not just tire size, but also the weight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i looked up an rpm calculator,

with 4.1 and 35's, a high gear of .71 for the 5r110w at 70 mph gives me 1956 rpms

with 4.56 and 35's, a high gear of .71 at 70 mph gives me 2176 rpms

and 4.3 gears gives me 2052 rpms

is it really worth it to re gear?

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
4.30 over 4.10 wouldn't net much difference. 4.56 is the general standard for 35's
Rough estimate is a grand an axle done at a shop, doing it yourself is risky business.
Would be cheaper if you do just gears, but if you are in there why not get some lockers.
If you are happy with your 35's and stock 4.10's as it is now then leave it be. The lift may cause some more drop in mpg though due to weight and wind resistance.
Diesel trucks don't really follow the gear charts, we have tons of torque....look how stock with 3.73's are on the high end of the "typical" gear chart.

35's and 4.56 suck for highway, rpms are ridiculous at 80mph

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
tank, are you agree that i should get 4.56's for 35's?
no...don't waste your money.

...unless all you do is pull trailers, and never go over 55mph...then yes.

I have a buddy in Tx that has 35's and 4.56's....he doesn't like going over 70...rpms are HIGH....but he pulls a trailer every day...so he's happy.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
i dont have a diesel man, im a lonely little 5.4l v8
crap I missed that...

you can get away with the 4.10's and 35's...but I wouldn't tow much with them...you'll be putting a strain on your tranny.

if you go up to a 37"....get 4.88's...I have a few friends with 5.4V8's...the ones that did 4.56's weren't happy, the ones that went with 4.88's were.

Like I said...once you start getting bigger tires...the gear charts are useless...they only figure gear ratio...not the 100's of extra pounds of tires you'll be trying to rotate.....and gassers are even worse....

·
BrokeAss
841 Posts
We are in fact int he gassers section tank. :pointlaugh:
The best set up from what you h ave said you would want was the 6" lift 37's and 4.88's
If you stay with 35's 12.50's then 4.10s will run the street fine. tow not so much
Wider tires = more rolling mass and broken transmission.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts