Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Davey B
930 Posts
Do you have an auto or manual? Ive got an auto, i run 4low, 2nd gear, and od off for most track conditions

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
I have had good luck with 4hi and drive... converter isnt locked though, good and bad, good for your trans, put your pulls may suffer, although my truck has loved 4hi

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Another problem with 4 lo on these trucks is you cant keep it in 1:1 gear, and for me 3rd gear was too high RPM but if it went into 4th it wanted to go into OD, lost alot of footage because it couldnt decide what gear to be in.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
4Hi is harder on the trans.

You're pulling something that's very heavy, it makes sense to use Low range. It gives you the most available power, while causing the least amount of stress to your drivetrain.

Dave

·
Registered
695 Posts
Another problem with 4 lo on these trucks is you cant keep it in 1:1 gear, and for me 3rd gear was too high RPM but if it went into 4th it wanted to go into OD, lost alot of footage because it couldnt decide what gear to be in.

like 4hi in 1st is 1-1 :pointlaugh: lol had to :poke:

4 low 3rd with the converter locked. If you got good tires,traction bars, stoppers and a good pulling hitch at 26" you will plant the power.
The problem with 4hi is you get to much converter slip

EDIT: I get what you are saying, keeping it in one gear. I thought you ment 1:1 as in direct drive.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
like 4hi in 1st is 1-1 :pointlaugh: lol had to :poke:

4 low 3rd with the converter locked. If you got good tires,traction bars, stoppers and a good pulling hitch at 26" you will plant the power.
The problem with 4hi is you get to much converter slip

EDIT: I get what you are saying, keeping it in one gear. I thought you ment 1:1 as in direct drive.
what i meant was when you are in 4low you have 1,2,3,5,6, you cant hold it in 5, there is no tow haul button, and there is no manual way to hold it in 5 (1:1) , just 1,2,and 3

1 - 20 of 34 Posts